• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reaching The 1858 Hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfhall50

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a pair of Cimarron (Uberti) 1858 in 44. I use them for SASS Cowboy Action shooting in Duelist category, I.e., single strong hand. I don’t have large hands and getting on top of the hammer to cock it is a bit of a challenge. Has anyone lowered their hammer to be able to reach it easier? In Cowboy Shooting it’s called a Blackhawk hammer. See picture below.

Thank. You 🤠

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 8
I have a pair of Cimarron (Uberti) 1858 in 44. I use them for SASS Cowboy Action shooting in Duelist category, I.e., single strong hand. I don’t have large hands and getting on top of the hammer to cock it is a bit of a challenge. Has anyone lowered their hammer to be able to reach it easier? In Cowboy Shooting it’s called a Blackhawk hammer. See picture below.

Thank. You 🤠
Elmer Keith experimented with this on many guns even went so far as to have some slip hammer guns made up. You would need to find a gunsmith willing to cut and reweld the spur a bit lower down.

I had seen an article once about doing that. They cut out a bit of the hammer then bent it down a bit, then carefully welded to fill in the missing metal. Then some files to blend it all back together. You think the Remington hammer is tough to reach, you see the one on my Roger’s & Spencer! Good luck with your project!

Latest posts

Back