• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ready to go for another year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went and got my 2014 small game and deer muzzle loader hunting license and tags this week. (mainly I get my license so I can legally shoot coyote and bobcat chicken thieves)
This is going to be my third year hunting Bambi with a muzzle loader. (and 8th or 9th deer hunt in my life I think) Never have bagged my own deer. At least the folks I have hunted with have and I will probably get meat regardless.
Last year I was skunked by fibromyalgia. I only was able to get out in the woods a few hours the entire season. Luckily a friend came out and shot a buck so we had meat in the freezer anyways.
Not so sure I am going to get a turkey tag this year. I think that a bigger shotgun than my .56 smoothbore is needed for the job.

Anyways,
Good luck out there this year!

Cynthialee said:
Not so sure I am going to get a turkey tag this year. I think that a bigger shotgun than my .56 smoothbore is needed for the job.

Just get closer and use small shot, either #6 or 7 1/2. Shoot for the head.

Last fall I shot a turkey with either 6 or 7 shot at no more than 10 yards in the head. He hit the ground and looked dead. Went to go put the gun in the house and before I could get back outside to get my bird, it flew away.

In Virginia we can use a rifle or pistol to take a turkey. I'm going to give my 36, rifle a chance to see if it will do the job. It's not as traditional as shotgun, but still a challenge.

if a 28 ga. tradegun can do in a turkey in ga., I don't see why a 56 wont. that is unless you have tyranaturkies in wash.

fibro sucks my wife has good days n bad days to. Hope your good days are long and bad days short. :wink:

fibromyalgia and hunting

=

Good shack with heat. About 5 feet in the air is just fine. To camo it, consider 3d camo. Make the edges not look like a box. Also, soundproof it. Grease fitting in the hinges, rubber bump stops, plywood under the metal roof if you go metal.

Late season they like south facing spots. I got a theory the deer go nocturnal due to heat, not pressure. Much comfortable to sleep outside in the day. At night it's colder and no solar radiation, so they move around to keep warm.

Good luck with the fibro....my wife suffers and my daughter!

Don't let the bird from last time haunt you, it won't happen like that again and besides....worms gotta eat :thumbsup:

B.

Willin to wager that a lot more turkeys were killed in the 18th and early 19th century with a ball than with shot!

Before moving to Montana 21yrs. ago I killed quite a few va. turkeys with my .50 TC Hawken.

Back