• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

reaming a .54 rifle to 62 smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

single action

Pilgrim
Reaction score
This is my first post and I sure hope I am posting in the right place.
I have a rusted t/c renegade barrel .54 barrel I received recently that I would like to have bored to 62 smooth bore.
My problem is I can not find a gunsmith locally who is willing.....or able to do this for me. The 2 local smiths I have told me they would not do it as it is "unsafe". I have read on this and other forums of it being done, and and as far as I can remember no one has been killed yet.
I have read of a Mr Rayl and a Mr Hoyt doing such work, could anyone give me contact information for these gentlemen?
I have been reading this forum for a few weeks, but have just now joined. You seem to have a great forum with very knowlegable posters. I have really enjoyed it so far, and plan to more in the future.
Thanks in advance.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/f.../1280431/hl/robert+hoyt/fromsearch/1/#1280431

I had him do just that, at issue for the 62 bore is the depth of the drilled and tapped holes for the rear sight. He said that can be no more than .125 deep and sometimes the factory has drilled them deeper.
So if you can measure these your self before contacting Mr. Hoyt you'll save yourself some shipping costs.

I just stuck a small dowel in the holes, marked it with a razor edge and measured the depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
necchi,
Thanks so much for the information. I will be sure to measure those sight holes as soon as I get home from work next week.
I really appreciate your help.

Back