• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recoil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jh45gun

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering I shot my 54 cal Underhammer rifle today for the first time. I had some preloaded tubes with me that had 80 grains of 777 and 425 grain Great Plains conicals. I now know why most of the short light rifles they make now have rubber buttpads on them. Or straight shotgun syle stocks. That curved brass buttplate on these guns is brutal with such light weight. The rifle weighs just under 7 pounds the shotgun is at 5 and 3/4. No way am I going to shoot that 12 guage until I come up with a pad to fit over the curved butt plate. Does any Co make one to fit over a Kentucky style stock or do I have to come up with one. I know they make them for standard shotgun stocks but these stocks are smaller so I am sure they would not fit. On a positive note the gun shot well I just shot it off hand at a target to get the peep sight on paper. On Sat I will go out and shoot it at the range to really dial in the sights and try for a group. I think I will start out at 60 grains for starters since I am using 777 which is a bit hotter than black. Ignition was positive using standard #11 caps and a very fast lock time. Looks like I got a winner here just got to tame the recoil down some. I can handle a lot of recoil with most guns but shooting this let you know you were shooting thats for sure. I showed them to my gunsmith and he liked them. Said the trigger pulls were just right on them. Jim

ae9e300a.jpg

These days, I'm mostly shooting an old CVA Mtn rifle that I modified by adding some antique parts..trigger guard, ramrod throat, butt plate...the butt plate is an extreme curve. It would kill me to put it against my shoulder..but, on one of these boards, someone made the point that these extreme curved butt plates were put against the point where the upper arm joined the shoulder, but on the arm. I've had no problem learning to shoot this way, and no problem with recoil, either. Hank

Um jh45gun who made your rifles? they are interesting, could you put a closer picture of the action area from away they look cool. bb75

Hank, I know that about shooting curved buttplates and that is where I had the butt on my arm not my shoulder. :) The biggest problem is that the gun is just too light for that type of buttplate I think. I know the older lever guns ect had curved butt plates but they did not use that heavy of a powder charge. I would guess that the origional Kentucky rifles and others of their ilk were 45 and under and did not use as much powder either as I suppose powder and shot were harder to get and they only used what they needed to get the job done.

Um jh45gun who made your rifles? they are interesting, could you put a closer picture of the action area from away they look cool. bb75

Here ya go. The Nut on the rod acts like a safety and to hold the striker inside the tube away from the nipple so you can get rid of the old cap and when putting on a new cap. Right now it is in the up position holding the striker away from the nipple when you shoot the nut would be at the bottom against the other T nut. When you pull the rod down the trigger sear is spring loaded and catches the T nut on the bottom of the striker rod. The plate on the side covers a inspection hole to cap and get rid of the old cap. The trigger ect is not that shiney it just is reflecting the flash of the camera. Jim

CNXT0009.jpg

Well made some butt pads out of leather. They feel good so they should tame the recoil some. Inside the cover is some more leather and a strip of rubber like stuff that is firm yet springy.

ButtPads.jpg

Your gun weighs 28 times as much as the ball

So if your ball goes at 1000 fps you gun goes at 35 fps in the opposite direction.

That's about 23 mph, it should feel very much like someone dropped the gun 19 feet and you caught it on your shoulder :crackup:

Your gun weighs 28 times as much as the ball

So if your ball goes at 1000 fps you gun goes at 35 fps in the opposite direction.

That's about 23 mph, it should feel very much like someone dropped the gun 19 feet and you caught it on your shoulder :crackup:

????????????????? I guess I do not get english humor??????????

That's because this is an English mistake, I'm confusing your gun with something else :eek:

Wondered why I couldn't find my post where I thought I'd put it :rolleyes:

That's because this is an English mistake, I'm confusing your gun with something else :eek:

Wondered why I couldn't find my post where I thought I'd put it :rolleyes:

Oh! I thought it was funny! Oh what the heck, I'll still consider that funny and sorta giggle at as I go about the day!

Yea I seen where he was going I just did not think it applied to my post. At least not directly.

Well glad some one got it. ::

Sorry about that.

I was confusing your gun with a bigger one being talked about elsewhere on this fine forum. I got the mistaken impression someone was firing a 4 bore weighing only 7 pounds so I did the maths :shocking:

Back