• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recomendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelockhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I hoping to buy a(flint) pistol kit here in the next week or so, problem is I have no experience with this. I looked some up on dixe guns webpage and most of the reviews siad they have very little instruction included. Any recomendations for a beginner?

Wheelockhunter: Hope you didn't mind my moving your post, but I think you will get more answers over here than you would have on the Builders bench. :)

I would suggest you read the posts in the Flintlock section to get a good understanding of the care and feeding Flintlocks need.
If it were mine, I would make sure the vent was at least 1/16 inch in diameter and better yet, 5/64 in diameter. This will speed the ignition time.
Be sure and "pick" the vent hole before loading the pan.

As far as shooting them accurately, the biggest key to it is follow thru .
I can only speak for me, but concentrating on maintaining the sight picture after pulling the trigger is difficult to do, but it is imperative that it be done.
I must fight the urge to resist the recoil by tensing up.
I must fight being aware of little burning ashes falling on my hand and concentrate on the target.
I must be ready for a noticable delay in the guns firing and resist relaxing my arm or grip.

In general, I think that shooting a Flintlock accurately needs all of the things that make a good pistol shooter plus a few more, multiplied by two.

If you have trouble with any of these, don't feel alone, most people do.
IMO, shooting a Flintlock pistol well is about the hardest shooting thing a person can do.

Anyone who has mastered precision Flintlock Pistol shooting has my deepest admiration.

There was an English guy known for his shooting skill with a flint pistol. He used his Manton dueller, loaded with a single ball, not shot, to pick off swallows in flight.

Some fool challenged him to a duel and he fired into the air (commonly done, apparently, as an honorable way to end it without bloodshed). The other guy insisted on going again, for real, so when the hamkie fell he plugged the guy in one of his brass buttons.

Moral - just because it's flint doesn't mean you can't get really good with it. Go for it.

No problem zonie, I have fired flintlocks before, but have never built anything from a gun kit. I hope to start soon, looks like a fun and worthwile hobby.

I hoping to buy a(flint) pistol kit here in the next week or so, problem is I have no experience with this. I looked some up on dixe guns webpage and most of the reviews siad they have very little instruction included. Any recomendations for a beginner?

Greetings,

I am assuming that you picked your forum name as a descriptive term for your own self. If so, then you are likely also familiar with the operation and practical uses of a flintlock.

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish, or maybe I should ask, what it is that you want to end up with?

Many persons build a kit to make use of their inherent (or learned) woodworking and metalworking skills. Perhaps you want a hunting piece, or maybe even a display piece? Are you wanting to expand your knowledge, and end up with a working and practical example of your hobby?

FYI, I even built a kit once as part of a rehabilitation and therapy program after a "cerebrovascular accident"--commonly called a stroke--but even more properly a T.ransient I.schemic A.ttack I had built kits prior to that point in my life, but "that one" was an interesting and memorable experience to say the least.

The "why" doesn't really matter why so much, but it "could" help to determine better choices to recommend to you. That said, I'll write down a few and you see if anything sounds like a possibillty, or just "catches your fancy".

I don't think spending gobs of money on your first kit is fair to you. Neither is attempting a kit that has very few instructions included, or very poor ones. Personally, I wouldn't go much over $200-$225 for your first kit. I do remember that some of my first kits only had for their instructions--nothing more than an "exploded diagram" and a numbered parts list.

Still, if you run into a problem--especially if pieces don't fit together properly--you want to know which piece to remove material from and which pieces to leave alone, that kind of stuff is really critical information. Some of those things will come by experience in time; or it just may be that the "logical" thing to try, IS the right thing to do. Enough of my blathering... here's the recommendations. (You've probably already looked at these.) You may want to check around a little bit for best prices though.

Dixie Gun Works
FH0320 Pedersoli Kentucky Flint Pistol Kit $195.00
FH0411 Pedersoli Harpers Ferry Pistol Kit $295.00
FH0421 Pedersoli Queen Anne Pistol Kit $225.00
FH0953 Dixie Charleville Pistol Kit $207.50
FK0432 Pedersoli KY Pistol Kit Flint (.54) $225.00
FK0940 Pedersoli KY Pistol Kit Flint (.50) $225.00

Pedersoli "generally" makes good quality products, and out of the above choices, I'd go with FH0320 as a good first choice for a kit.

If you have a good logical approach to doing things and have done some wood and metal work before, you could get a kit from Deer Creek Products at 1-765-525-6181 Sorry, but they have no website or e-mail. Ask for a catalog from them if nothing else, but you can get a decent kit for under $150 It is a copy of the old CVA Mountain Pistol (similar to a Hawken style pistol), or you could get a "Kentucky style" pistol from them instead. There's a neat little "Tower Pistol" Kit they make also. Go for the Mountain Pistol 1st out of those choices. The instructions are only an "exploded diagram" and parts list, but everything went together well and I was recovering from that stroke I had... remember?

If you're more into one of those kit "copies" of original styled flintlock pistols... they can get very expensive in a big hurry. There are some of these that are merely a box/bag of very rough looking parts--and you had "better" already know how they fit together. You may have to inlet the stock--which is really way too much expectation from a beginner. Getting the relationship of the "lock, stock, and barrel" to work harmoniously might seem like you'd need a "magic wand" to get the pistol together correctly and (safely) shootable. See the link below for some "custom kits".

www.trackofthewolf.com

I probably threw you more information than you were expecting, but I figure since you did ask, that you wanted more than just someone to say, "Buy this or that one", and with no explanations, et cetera...

Take Care, and I hope that this helped you instead of creating a bigger problem of what to do....

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I built the Pedersoli .54 kit from Dixie... FK0432 back in January/February of this year. I really like the pistol. It's a bit on the heavy side, because it has a straight barrel, but it shoots extremely well, and I think it looks pretty good too. I bought it for the same reason you are looking to buy one... as a starting point to get into building, and because I wanted a flinter pistol too. :redthumb:

I documented the build over in the Builder's Bench forum. Here's the link to the thread. That should give you an idea of what a beginner had to go through to finish one of these kits.

Zonie, I think this topic should probably be moved back to the Builder's Bench. He is asking about building a kit... not just shooting a flintlock.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

I can't add much more to what WVH said , but I can tell you some of my own experience with kit building (easy kits) . My first kit was total junk , I think it was a Martek or Markwell ,any how it began with an "M" and was made in Brazil . I bought it because it was the cheapest one I could find and I didn't want to spend alot of money on something I was most likely , going to screw up on . BIG mistake . The stock was fully inletted and all the holes were drilled . I tried to put it together but NOTHING lined up right . The lock , barrel and trigger all fit in the inletting , but would not fit to the other parts :curse: . I took the kit back to the gun shop and explained the problem , and the guy told me I had to "fit it" :huh: . I had to move the barrel foreward , drill another hole for the tang screw , cut the mortise for the trigger plate longer so the tang screw would go into the trigger plate . I had to do this so I wouldn't have to cut the lock mortise bigger , however I still had to modify the lock mortise so that the hammer would hit the nipple right . Since I had to move the trigger , I also had to remove more wood for the trigger guard to fit . I filled all the gaps with Birchwood Casey glass bedding . I won't bother telling you the problems I had with the patchbox and buttplate :shake: . I managed to put it all together and it shoots surpriseingly well , but it looks like $h!T . The moral of this story is: sometimes cheaper ain't better . I built that rifle in 1981 . After that I built a CVA Kentucky pistol , CVA squirrel rifle , and a Thompson Center Renegade . None of those kits had the problems that the el cheapo kit had . The Renegade was so well made , all I had to do was sand and finish the beautiful black walnut stock . Last November I built a Pedersoli Queem Anne pistol kit . Everything fit together pefectly . The only thing wrong was the hole for tang screw was off by about 1/16" . Lucky it was offset towards the butt , so all I had to do was elongate the hole with a round file . This had to be done slowly and carefully so the barrel would still fit tight , since on the Queen Anne , the tang screw is the only thing holding the barrel to the stock . If all the Pedersoli kits are as good as the kit I got , I would go with Pedersoli for your first kit . I strongly suggest you get a book on building sidelock guns , it might save you from alot of headaches . Go for it , it will be fun ! :thumbsup:

Well I dont know if you have a rifle, but figgering you do.
Most folk would like a pistol that uses the same cal and powder as their rifle.

Sue at MLS

http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/

Can sell you a kit with matching barrel, a wide choice of locks and wood etc. Im doing the officer's pistol, to match me Virginy Sheetz rifle.

Anyone can put a pistol together in a weekend or two. First one I did, got so into it, I was ready for stain and brown in 10 hours.

WHat you end up with is far better that any ready made, and you made it!

My first kit was from Dixie, & had a Spanish lock that was not too good. Sparked OK, but the tumber was too soft & failed on me in a match. Put the ball about 5 feet in front of me.

I use several "how to build" books for instructions more than the instructions that came w/ the few kits I made (one had none). Peter Alexander's "The Gunsmith of Grenville County has about 10 pages on pistol making, but generally I consider a flint pistol little more than a short flint rifle when I'm puttin' 'em together.

wheelockhunter,

I must apologise. Despite all my ramblings in my lengthy post... I believe I forget to ask you something. Is the "lack of experience" that you refer to in your first sentence above--regarding building muzzle loading kits? OR Does it mean that you aren't well versed in the general skills--such as sanding, filing, shaping polishing, staining wood, fitting parts, browning/blueing, etc... that are typically needed to complete even a muzzle loader kit?

IF it IS a lack of building skills--rather than first-hand experience--I would likewise have recommended a book or two on the subject. But it looks like you've gotten a few replies that have done that already.

Have you decided on what kit that you intend to buy? You can call it "nosy-ness" or "prying", but it's just my curiousity at work again. I would hate to see you buy something that turned you off from "building". It's a fantastic way to keep the mind sharp. It teaches a huge variety of skills that are useful in other hobbies, in minor household repairs, etc. plus it helps keep you busy during the colder winter months when it's hard to do much of anything else. (no jokes please)

A great thing about knowledge & experience is that they are totally YOUR OWN! Once you feel comfortable with building, it is also a great method for teaching kids, grandkids, nephews, friends, etc., about the varied skills. A good "relationship cement", if you know what I mean by that.

I am about due to buy another kit to work on soon (getting ready for the upcoming winter) I'm in the market for a large smooth-bore flint lock--though I'd take a rifled bore as well. I'm talking about larger than .58 caliber if possible.

Anyone have any recommendations for that type of pistol. BTW, I'm trying to keep the budget for it around $350-375

Thanks, and Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

wheelockhunter,

I must apologise. Despite all my ramblings in my lengthy post... I believe I forget to ask you something. Is the "lack of experience" that you refer to in your first sentence above--regarding building muzzle loading kits? OR Does it mean that you aren't well versed in the general skills--such as sanding, filing, shaping polishing, staining wood, fitting parts, browning/blueing, etc... that are typically needed to complete even a muzzle loader kit?

IF it IS a lack of building skills--rather than first-hand experience--I would likewise have recommended a book or two on the subject. But it looks like you've gotten a few replies that have done that already.

Have you decided on what kit that you intend to buy? You can call it "nosy-ness" or "prying", but it's just my curiousity at work again. I would hate to see you buy something that turned you off from "building". It's a fantastic way to keep the mind sharp. It teaches a huge variety of skills that are useful in other hobbies, in minor household repairs, etc. plus it helps keep you busy during the colder winter months when it's hard to do much of anything else. (no jokes please)

A great thing about knowledge & experience is that they are totally YOUR OWN! Once you feel comfortable with building, it is also a great method for teaching kids, grandkids, nephews, friends, etc., about the varied skills. A good "relationship cement", if you know what I mean by that.

I am about due to buy another kit to work on soon (getting ready for the upcoming winter) I'm in the market for a large smooth-bore flint lock--though I'd take a rifled bore as well. I'm talking about larger than .58 caliber if possible.

Anyone have any recommendations for that type of pistol. BTW, I'm trying to keep the budget for it around $350-375

Thanks, and Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

To answer your question, I have built birdboxes, duckboxes etc when I took a natural resources class in tech school but that's about it for building experience.

There was a pistol that dixie gun has that i'm looking at, can't remeber off the top of my head.

Of the kit's offered by Dixie, based on your skill level I think you would be very happy with either the Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol Kit in either .45, .50 or .54 caliber.
These are available in Precussion or Flintlock.

They are easy to assemble and the stock is Walnut.
I built one of them years ago and was very pleased with it.

As for instructions, if you've taken apart a ML rifle (removed the barrel, lock and maybe the trigger) you know about all you need to know. The gun comes partly assembled.

If you get one of these, and have questions about anything, post them on the Builders Bench and they will be promptly answered.

The .45 Precussion is Dixie # PH0330 $170
The .45 Flintlock is FH0320 $170
The .50 Precussion is #PK0940 $175
The .50 Flintlock is # FK0940 $185
The .54 Precussion is # PK0436 $175
The .54 Flintlock is # FK0432 $185

Back