• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommendations for rifle, please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 54 GPR percussion currently(I'm building from an old kit). I'd like a shorter rifle that would be a bit lighter and good for carrying through heavy piney woods during spot and stalk pig hunting here in East Texas. The longest shot I could imagine is 50 yards, probably shorter than that for the most part. I'll want to be able to put down pretty large boars (there are some over 400lbs around) The shorter the barrel, while maintaining accuracy at these ranges, the better. Thanks for any recs!

Stephen

I also prefer traditional appearance and percussion rifle...

Lyman Deerstalker carbine or T/C White Mountain carbine would be good. You can find good used ones on some of the auction sites and classifieds sections of MLer forums.

You might consider a gun that would allow you to switch barrels with ease. One gun with different calibers and barrel lengths.

Guess which gun I'm thinking of? :grin:

gmww said:
You might consider a gun that would allow you to switch barrels with ease. One gun with different calibers and barrel lengths.

Guess which gun I'm thinking of? :grin:

??? help! I'm a novice!

LOL. That would be a good one. But the Underhammer is what I'm talking about. :thumbsup:

Rebels recommendation of a Renegade is what I would consider the optimum for your needs, it's short, plenty of energy and a percussion.

I use a 54 Renegade with a brass ramrod.

Which part of the Piney Woods are you in? We have seen an explosion in the number of hogs with all the rain in the first 6 months of the year.

RDE

I also would recommend the Renegade. This would be my absolute highest recommendation.

Get a Renegade Stock Fully Functional and then get a 58 caliber Green Mountain Barrel for it. You will probably have around $300 or less in it, it will shoot like nobodys business and it will be light.

Its a big ol hole with a 58. Great for packin, Bad for whatever you hit with it.

Headhunter

Thanks for the advice!
I hunt in Jacksonville, Tx along key's creek.

Thanks again. I ws looking online a bit and saw the lyman deerstalker has only a 24 inch barrel. Anyone have any ideas about it?

Not sure how much longer they make but I prefer my barrels to be a minimum of 30". Nice long sight plain and balance.

The Lyman Deerstalker handles like a fine shotgun. I have been using one in .50 cal for the past 16 years and think it is great. This last year, I wanted a .54 and they didn't have a Deerstalker in stock so I went with the Lyman Trade rifle in .54. I like it a lot too, but it has a 28" barrel and weighs 8 lbs. You couldn't go wrong with a Deerstalker in .54 with a twist rate of 1 in 48", it will shoot balls and mid weight bullets very well.

Back