• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommended hunts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkendrick

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for some suggestions for BP hunts.

I'm looking specifically for guided or outfitter hunts that aren't going to cost an arm and a leg.

My pard and I are both at an age where running up and down hills and such is no longer an option. His diabetes has started eating on his eyes, and I have heart issues, but we are neither one ready to pull the plug just yet.

I have never hunted by tree stand nor over a bait, but we find ourselves facing the fact that it's either that or nothing.

Any suggestions as to where would be a good location to do that for bear and boar? That's our primary interest, but we are open to suggestions.

I don't know if you really want to travel or not, but East Tennessee has lots of black bear and boar. I'm sure there's outfitters there that aren't too expensive.

I doubt there's bear, but many private ranches in Texas are overrun with boar- to the point that most are culling. Hunting on many is from blinds over bait stations. Lots of whitetails taken that way too. It's not too far from home either, so driving will let you get around the hassle of finding black powder once you climb off a plane on longer trips.

Closer to home, I hope you're getting out for small game. I call myself a deer hunter, but when you consider days afield, shots fired, and game eaten I'm a rabbit hunter first and foremost. Hunting is close to home and the seasons are long. Best of all, there's almost no one else doing it. Using reduced loads and head shots, it's also very reasonable to use you large bore hunting guns so you get lots of field practice with them.

Tkendrick said:
Any suggestions as to where would be a good location to do that for bear and boar? That's our primary interest, but we are open to suggestions.

You might consider an antelope hunt. Wyoming has a huge antelope population and offers hunters multiple tags for does. They can be hunted from a blind at a watering hole or along a trail at a funnel spot. There is a lot of public land or private land available if you pay a trespass fee. From what I hear most land owners want the does thinned out, so access should not be a problem. If you go with a guided hunt, antelope is one of the least expensive big game hunts, especially when you consider the option to take several animals on one trip. Antelope is some of the best eating in my opinion too!

I was going to suggest a guided antelope hunt in the Cowboy State. One of the better deals to be offered these days.

A hunt for Texas exotics would be doable if that was your cup of tea.

Staying local would save you a bunch on all costs if that is a concern. Bear and javalina hunts are an option that are close to home for you. You have a huntable wild boar population in the extreme NW corner of AZ that is not too far away and guided hunts for them are offered. Lots of folks offer predator hunts in your state that would be a fun and challenging option too, and some almost give them away. You live where you could hunt them almost in your own back yard.

Lots of guided boar and bear hunts are offered in CA now days. Some run dogs, some don't. Some have access to good huntable populations, some don't. But there is a lot of wild boar/razorbacks in CA.

I've hunted Texas for exotics, Canada for Moose and Bear, Wyoming for Antelope and Washington Stat for Whitetail deer. Beings I live in Wa. it is the cheapest. If your interested in a BP hunt in Wa. send me a PT and I'll send you the link. The outfitter has numerous hunts available in Wa. Mt. Utah, Idaho. The cheap ones are meat hunts with little to do but get posted in a blind and wait.

My buddy took his son BP hunting for the first time on a Doe meat hunt here. I believe it was a three day hunt for about $400. for the two of them. That included Cabin, hot showers toilet, food, and trespass fee to private land. They both got their Does the first day.

If hunting wild hogs is some thing you want to do, espcially with traditional Muzzle loaders, give these people a look see. It's a great place, lots of game and the meat hunt prices are affordable, as is the lodging, which has all the comforts of home and then some. We always have a ball, private property so we can hunt in traditional period garb as well.[url] http://www.kramerhunting.com[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
And a whole lot of fun as well! It's only about 20 miles from our ranch. We have about 3 to 4 group hunts over at Kramers a year, we do the hog hunting either with traditional ML's or knives, depending upon if the dogs want to work the hogs or not. Give it a thought about hunting there.

I agree with Pab 1. We did a guided hunt in Wyoming for antelope this past fall and then went deer hunting (unguided) after our antelope hunt was finished. It was truly a great time, spectacular country, and I saw more deer and antelope than I could have ever imagined. Three hunters brought home 7 critters. We have ate very well this winter! I cannot wait until we are able to go back to Wyoming.

Kevin

you might want to post something in the new hunting swap category in the classifieds. maybe you can find something that won't cost you much at all and be able to meet some folks from the forum as well.
pieman

Back