• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recovered conical pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henbrook

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a few pics of the bullet I recovered from just under the hide of 120lb. dressed forkhorn this fall.

Buffalo Bullet Co. .45 cal,325gr HP
90gr Goex FFFg
T/C Hawken .45
40 yards,slightly 1/4ing to,slightly downhill from ground level(5ft. elevation difference?)
Bullet entered near shoulder at junction of neck and torso,smashed far shoulder,recovered under hide when skinning.
Recovery distance-0 yards,bang/flop DRT! :thumbsup:

Mushroomed to maximum .875 X .625

Shown for comparison with .451 RB and 250gr maxi(sorry,no before/after pics of BB Co. 325....I'm all out of'em :( )

bullets45cal003.jpg

bullets45cal002.jpg

bullets45cal005.jpg

bullets45cal001.jpg

Now that's something. It says real good things about the BB design.

I recovered a 50 cal maxi from under the hide on the ham after a friend popped a good buck face-on in the brisket at 50 yards. It traveled full length through the deer and only smeared the nose a little. The buck ran about 30-35 yards after the hit, too.

BrownBear said:
Now that's something. It says real good things about the BB design.
Yeah,I was impressed with the performance.2nd deer with that load,both bang/flops.:thumbsup: The other was 20 yards from a treestand.Spined and exited far shoulder in a BIG way,bullet not recovered,but 0 yard recovery(obviously).

My nephew shot a raghorn bull at about 50 yards with a maxi and it was in the skin on the opposite side, could've been used again. Performed perfectly, but no expansion.

Here are a few round ball recoveries, two .45 & two .50, IIRC. Never needed but that one first shot to drop them. Several were DRT. That's just those two calibers; other calibers got plenty of DRTs as well. Opinions are like noses, everybody has one. Many hunters experience better results with one projectile vs the other, which is to be expected. I've never hunted with anything other than prb and own no barrels rifled for conicals. My experimentation with conicals didn't impress me. Groups were "decent" at 60 yards, but still not equal to the prb; and I always use what gives best accuracy in the barrels I own. Other than small game, I've hunted with .45s far more than with other calibers. Every ball I've recovered was "coin flat" but can't speak for all the pass-throughs.

Text Book results. My first two deer where with Maxi's, but the little to no amount of expansion caused me to search. The mold for the MaxiHunter was the ticket and I saw better wound channels. I HP'ed some and received even better expansion, much like you show there. No Bang Flop DRT, unless the spine was hit. Did have a few Bang Flop, Flop, Flop and then dead, though. Most ran a ways and died on their feet.
The last 5 years I've used PRB's, just because (and I lost the MaxiHunter mold in a move). It is good, slugs or balls do the job well.

Like Hanshi P.R.B. recovered a few over the years usually opposite side of hit just under the hide flat as a plate, good wound channels and shows the ball spent all its energy in the deer, Some D.R.T. some short trail job never very far but then I shoot a .54 mountain rifle or a .62 Christian springs type long rifle the .62 is awesome and I favor the big bores. I believe a lot has to do with the softness of the lead used, But what ever works and you are comfortable with gets the job done.

I have to say I have never recovered an intact round ball. All but one has gone through and through and the outgoing hole would tell me there was little expansion. The one I did not find, whole at least, was angled down through the heaviest part of the shoulder and it was in a multitude of tiny lead fragments in the chest cavity. Massive damage to internals. I have also shot a number of deer with Hornady GP conicals. About the same as round balls as far as pass throughs except for one. This one was shot at 89 yards into a large mature buck breaking ribs on both sides and just sitting under the hide on the other side. Virtually 100% weight retention. The buck flinched at the hit then charged about 30 yards straight up a steep hillside before collapsing.

11314862613_c1ea53fdfd_c.jpg

Back