• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Red Oak for loading block?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I found some leftover 1x4 red oak. It's probably more like
3/4"x3 1/2".
I need to make a couple of loading blocks and have a couple of questions.
Does it make it any easier to load if I leave a small handle sticking out?
Is red oak make good block wood? Pine would split too easy.
Would it look better stained or just oiled? I know I can try both, but what do mosty of ya'll see around?
Thanks,
Jim

I use walnut, maple, and pine. Mine are about 3/8 inch thick. They can be any size you want to make them and that is determined by how many patched balls you want to carry.

I stain all mine with dark walnut danish oil, then polish when dry, then coat them with T/C Lube 1000 Plus...

I carry extra bullet blocks in my shooters bag ready to take the place of the one hanging from the strap of my shooters bag when it is emptied.

Just use your imagination on the shape you want. I've made them rectangular, half moon shape, spoon shape, spatula shaped, coffin shaped, round... Whatever strikes your fancy? :thumbsup:

The shape will be what I can fit out of the marerial I have, which is 1x4 about 2 feet long. I have enough to make at least a couple of blocks.
I asked about the handle wondering if that would make it easier to hold the block when charging the barrel.
I have some walnut stain and Tung Oil Finish, so I try that and see what happens.
Jim

pepper i dont see any reason why you shouldn'tuse red oak .it's a dense grained wood and should hold up welltou should get six or more balls in a 4x4 piece . what i would suggest is use a paddle bit and drill a sallow relief on the bottom side of each hole so it will just go over the end of your barrel then use the coned hole as a guide for your patched ball hole for example a 1/2" hole for .50 cal etc. tou'll load a lot faster if the bell centers over the bore this way. :peace: :thumbsup: :m2c:
p.s i think you might get at least three or four loaders off that some piece of wood.unless you are gonna make a montain man bandalero :shocking: :what: :haha:

here's a couple i made out of some popular....3/8" T x 2" W x 5" L....soon to be stained the color i used on my maple stock..................bob

195989.jpg

The handle isn't really necessary, as you have to support the rifle with the same hand holding the block so you've got to choke up on it nearest the ball to be loaded. None of mine have handles, per se. I hook a little 1-1/2" stub starter onto mine. What I find does help is to not have the hole for the lanyard too close to any bullet hole. I've sliced several lanyards with the patch knife accidentally when loading the block.

Whatever is used, it must be finished like a rifle stock as it will absorb the lube from your patches if it isn't.
: A non-traditional block can be made from coloured (or white) UHMW or HDPE. It won't absorb anything, is easy to drill and make. this stuff doesn't file worth a hoot, but cuts will with bladed instruments quite well. You can cut it(held in a vise) easily with a sharp saw or on a table saw. UHMW(cdn) is ultra-high molecular content polyethylene while HDPE(us)high density polyethylene also known as bread boards or cuttng boards(home and butcher shop)
: Colours available are black, brown, green, yellow, red, white & blue.
: Normally I use 3/4" maple, myself, but do have one for the .45 made from 1/2" UHMW. It's a slick block for rabbit hunting, holding an even dozen patched balls. My hunting blocks usually hold 4-6 shots only.

Thanks! Stumpy that's what I needed to know about the handle. I was also wondering how to use it and hold the rifle.
I figured the oak would be good but like I say, asking is free!
Jim

Hmm, wonder if my buddy has some excess curly maple I could use for a loading block to match my rifle?

Thanks, you guys got me thinking....

I brought home a nice block of mahogany from a door I cut at the shop the other day. I thought of using it to make some loading blocks, just to see if the wood is suitable for it. As long as everyone is asking...

Has anyone tried mahogany?

Hmm, wonder if my buddy has some excess curly maple I could use for a loading block to match my rifle?

I was getting some molding at Lowes and a 1 x 4 x 24" piece of curly maple was lying on top of a wood bin. I spent the next 15 minutes pulling every bit of maple out of the bins, but that was the only piece. About 50% tight tiger-stripe. Cost me something like $1.38 and will end up being bullet blocks and stub-starters.

They've also got 1/2" oak dowels which are perfect for cross-sticks

Back