• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Red or Blue ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to wally world today they had the blue and I mic it, it was .018 and the red was .015 this is what I was looking for, got the red. Are they the same.

Thanks

No, they are not they same, one's .015, and the other is .018. :rotf: Sorry I couldn't resist. The truth be that other than thickness they are the same cotton material. I think the dyes used for the two colors affect the final thickness. Some of prefer to wash out the sizeing, while others shoot it the way it comes. Some like to precut patches, and others cut at the muzzle with a patch knife. Some like prelubed, and precut in loading blocks. I've tried it all these ways, and I like a wet patch useing Stumpy's Moose Milk, and cutting at the muzzle for target shooting. For hunting I use twice soaked with Moosemilk, and dryed patches in a loading block. I think they all work fine It boils down to a matter of choice and what works for you. By the way I happen to like the red ticking, and I carry a mike into Wallyworld also. Best of luck Bill

Catman:
The differnece between the two is simple, Republicans shoot the red ticking, Democrats the blue. Welcome to the forum, we have all the answers! :rotf:
Seriously, I have shot both, I have not noticed any difference between the two colors. Yes, at times I have found some runs a little thin, yes - take you digial micrometer with you.

You do realize you are speaking of .002+-"???

That is inside normal machiene tool tolerances for industrial production. Your barrel is not held to tolerances that close!!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

ghost said:
You do realize you are speaking of .002+-"???

That is inside normal machiene tool tolerances for industrial production. Your barrel is not held to tolerances that close!!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Probably within .0002 +- is that what you meant?

In the old days, red was "pillow ticking", Blue was "bed ticking". A little heavier material desired for the matress.
Now-a-days, one never knows. "Mic. in hand is really grand."
I also burn a strand or two to make sure it burns and not just melts.
Then throw it in the cloths basket a few time for washing before use.
Same with denum, you'd better mic it and burn test it.

I have seen .015 and .018 ticking from Walmart over the past 18 months. Both were blue and the .015 was also available in red. I guess that we need to stop mentioning Walmart ticking without giving the thickness now.

CS

I have been using the red. After washing, it measured about .020" and compressed to .018". I think that at different times, either red or blue, Wal-Mart gets different lots of pillow ticking. Best to measure it before buying. :grin:

I have both red & blue, washed & air dried. The blue mic's .014 / .016 while the red checked in @ .016 / .018. My .40 cal likes the blue and a .395 ball.

Walmart ticking has been a dif measurement almost every time I have gotten it there...... I did find some true .015 a while back when there & it was the first time for 3-4 years they had any.

As for the stripes, be sure to load them verticle so the rifle will shoot straight as if ya got one in there with the stripes sideways, no telling left or right or where it may go............ :bull:

My experience has been that if ya find one the size ya want, buy the whole dang bolt of it. Cause when ya come back it will be a dif. measurement, even tho they say the same, & may have the same SKU# on them, I have seen a dif from .011 to .017 in them & that can Definately throw off your shooting.....

Well, actually doesn't effect ol shooters like me, cause I can't hit a bull in the butt at 20' anyway !! :rotf: :rotf: But some of the fellers it can effect !!

Thanks for the tip on getting the stripes aligned just right!! I'm sure my shooting is gonna see a big improvement now!!! :bow:
I just checked the last batch of blue ticking I got from Wal-Mart and it came out to .021 after washing and drying. I measured it with a dial caliper, so I'm sure it didn't compress like it would've with a real mic. I know it's odd, but I've had good results with any of the blue ticking I've used over the years with a .395 ball in a 40 caliber, .490 ball in 2 different 50 calibers, and now with a .530 ball in a 54 caliber GPR.
Sometimes I think we are just pickin' the fly $hit outta the pepper. :haha:
Please pardon my French.

The blue has always been way too tight with any gun that I've had and the balls that I've been using. I guess the off white linen must mic out to .010" or so, I've never really measured it but I don't like a real tight fitting ball, I like to be able to push the ball/patch down bore with a easy, smooth action, not a forceful one. Guess that may be one reason I can't cut clover leave groups at 50yrds, my ball/patch is not tight enough but at least I've never broken a ramrod, even the cheap popular wood ones I get from the hardware store. :winking:

Birddog6 said:
...As for the stripes, be sure to load them verticle so the rifle will shoot straight as if ya got one in there with the stripes sideways, no telling left or right or where it may go............ :bull:

quote]

That's what I've been doing wrong!! :redface: Instead of a round group I get a line across my target. Should have known better. :rotf:

birddogs right about them there stripes; if i shoot to the left a little the first time, i just turn them stripes a little to the right and bring'er right back to the bullseye!
works every time :shocked2:
did i mention i had some land for sale?

Latest posts

Back