• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RED Residue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Although I've read about it over the years, I don't recall seeing many comments from all of you black powder shooters about the Red residue sometimes seen in the barrels bore after shooting.

It has been said that it is the result of the "perfect load", and I guess I have been doing something wrong because I have never seen it in my guns although I've been shooting BP for over 35 years.

Have any of you folks seen this stuff in your guns? :confused:

zonie :)

I've had GREEN residue show up when I swabbed the bore but never RED. So does that mean I have an imperfect load??

I had lots of it coming out the vent hole today, and today i had a heck of a time getting it to fire. Sunny dry day too. :hmm:

Have no idea if what I've been told is true - they say it's a way to trace where the bp was manufactured :shake:

Red flecks have always shown up for me every winter during the colder, dry, low humidity months of Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb...I get the red flecks around the muzzle, pan, and vent no matter what size powder charge I'm using.

It's a normal byproduct of combustion that is always there but when the humidity is normal to high, it's not visible due to the immediate effects of the moisture on the residue.

My Getz .58 leaves a red residue when swabbing. I use a .562 PRB with 82 grains in the 58 calibre... It shoots a 2.5" group (3) at 90 yards :grin: . I'll make meat with her tomorrow if the right deer comes along... It's the first day of blackpowder in West-by God-Virginia :thumbsup: !

roundball said:
Red flecks have always shown up for me every winter during the colder, dry, low humidity months of Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb...I get the red flecks around the muzzle, pan, and vent no matter what size powder charge I'm using.

It's a normal byproduct of combustion that is always there but when the humidity is normal to high, it's not visible due to the immediate effects of the moisture on the residue.

Well that fits my conditions too a tee. :applause:

I've heard the same thing for years about it being the sign of a "perfect load". Whether it is or not, at least 90% of the time when I shoot, I see it on my patch when I wipe the bore. I believe it is a by-product of the sulphur, but I'm not sure. It also seems to appear no matter what the atmospheric conditions, so maybe it is a sign of a "perfect burn", not necessarily a "perfect load". Maybe there's a chemist on here who can give another explanation. Meanwhile, I'll stick to the "perfect burn". :hmm:

dI have to go with roundball. Fall months I get red flecks but only in the barrel doesn't appear on the patches and not every shot. I guess it is humidity and temperature but I've never seen the green except on old brass.
Fox :thumbsup:

I get the red residue most of the time. Never saw green tho. What kind of powder are you guys shooting to get the green residue? How 'bout you, Zonie? I'm using Goex red can.
I know they were trying to get "taggants" put into powder to make it traceable. This has been several years ago. Maybe that IS what it is. :hmm: A gubmint plot!

Congress dropped the taggant legislation years ago when ATF told them that it would do them no good as a tracer, since almost all explosives used to commit crimes are stolen. You will remember that after the Oklahoma City Bombing where fertilizer was used, Congress again considered tagging agents, but the bill never made it out of a subcommitte. The ATF spoke to the Senators in a closed session, and filled them in on the true facts of life. One of the East Coast State has dropped its law requiring factories to supply the state with a sample bullet from each gun shipped to the state. ( New Jersey or Maryland) During the trial period, NO cases were solved based on being able to match such a bullet to a bullet found at a crime scene( ie, in someone's body.) The reason is, as we tried to tell them, that the markings in a barre( microscopic) which are used by crime labs to identify a particular gun as the one used to fire a given bullet, CHANGE as they are shot, with new scratches appearing in the surface of the barrel from debris, and grit found in the powder, and in the barrel from pocket or holster lint, and just dust from the air. Even matching a gun to a bullet is not going to convict someone of a crime unless you have other evidence that puts the gun in the accused hands at the time of the crime. Have we all forgotten, " Who shot J.R. Ewing, on "Dallas "? It wasn't his wife, Sue Ellen, although it was her gun, and she was found standing over his body holding the smoking gun! ( She was arrested, jailed, and indicted for Att. Murder, but was acquitted when J.R. woke up from him coma and admitted that his gf had shot him. We don't have many experienced trial lawyers working in Congress, these days. It shows.

jethro224 said:
I get the red residue most of the time. Never saw green tho. What kind of powder are you guys shooting to get the green residue? How 'bout you, Zonie? I'm using Goex red can.
I know they were trying to get "taggants" put into powder to make it traceable. This has been several years ago. Maybe that IS what it is. :hmm: A gubmint plot!
No, the red is not taggants...it's there all the time, just can't see it until it gets very dry.

I also use Goex, and at least with NL1000 lube, if I wipe the bore the fouling does have a faint pale greenish color to it

That's what I get, more of a kinda' greenish 'sheen' on the patch, I dry patch after every shot with a loose-fitting patch.

Rebel said:
Bill, if the climate in your neck of the woods is like here that green residue is probably mold. :grin:

The mold up here tends toward black. The moss and algae, however, are green. :blah:

Back