• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Redhand in Hawaii

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhand

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I found this forum through Muzzleblasts. I am a builder and collector of all kinds of muzzleloaders. I mostly shoot flinters or Civil War stuff. Yesterday I took an 1858 remington with 4 extra cylinders and filled the range with smoke.
Redhand in Hawaii

Welcome the camp, Redhand. Glad to know we got sum shooters on the pond. How long you been adoin' this bp shootin'? Just wonderin', do you have trouble gettin' black powder there or do ya use Pyrodex?
cool.gif

Welcome, you are our second member from Hawaii...

Get 21 more people to become members and Hawaii will pass New York...
grin.gif

Glad to have you here...

We have an individual that imports stuff by the container, and he brings it in. Then we have an informal person to person distribution next work that will quickly distribute the 50 pounds that is generally ordered. We get Goex for about 12 bucks a pound and I have taken to shoot swiss FFG in my rifles at about 19 bucks a pound. I don't shoot anything but real black, because in this humid pyrodex just rots my guns too fast...
Redhand in Hawaii

quote:Originally posted by Redhand:
I don't shoot anything but real black, because in this humid pyrodex just rots my guns too fast...Humid?
shocked.gif

I'll take humid anyday...

Its 14 degrees here in Ohio with a wind chill of -5 degrees...

We had to jump start the dog today...
grin.gif

Yeah. I'd be pretty hard to take that Hawaiian muzzleloading stuff. Squirrels hiding behind coconuts. Dying your short-sleeved buckskins bright colors with ocre and berry juices. Volcanic embers finding your pan or powder horn.

We're better of here where we only have to worry about the mainsprings and frizzens shattering when we pull the trigger.

I usually stick my ramrod in a loaded gun if I bring it loaded into the house. This past weekend I thought I had a misfire when discharging the gun, but was in a hurry so I brought it in anyway. As I watched the ramrod seemed to get longer and longer. Suddenly, it let loose with a bang! Turns out it went off OK when I shot but it was so cold the explosion froze inside the barrel. Wasn't the ramrod at all, but the stiffened up explosion working its way out of the barrel. Bringing it into the house allowed it to thaw out and go off.

Stumpkiller: Tis a good thin it blew a hole thru yer roof. Ah'm a thinnen yer place needs some ventalation after that last one!

quote:Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
Bringing it into the house allowed it to thaw out and go off.We had to jump start the dog today...
rolleyes.gif

Don't even ask where the terminals were...
It's 11 degrees and dropping, reminds me of my Ex-wife...
shocked.gif

Welcome Redhand! There are now two of us from Hawaii! Missed you at the Kokohead Shooting Range this Sunday. We did a very informal flintlock shoot to celebrate the Battle of New Orleans. A couple of school kids showed up with their history teacher and we had a hands on history lesson. Big wide smiles when they each got to fire the flintlocks.

Howdy Redhand,
Seems like if you have a large collection, you would also have a lot of experience with a bunch of different shootin' irons. Looking forward to learning something from ya.

Back