• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Reliable beginner flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch97

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking for a reliable smoothbore flinter and figured I'd leave a post here for what I'm looking for. I'd prefer a Fowler or trade gun, but really I'm looking for something reliable to cut my teeth on (for flintlock). It may be a shot in the dark to find someone willing to part with such a piece for a reasonable price, but I figured I'd try.

Looking to stay sub $1,000.

What is your primary goal? That is the first question to be answered.
If you ever plan on doing military reenactments you should find a local group and find out what is acceptable in their ranks.

If you plan on small game hunting a French fusil fin or trade gun would be a better choice AFTER you handle a couple and see what fits you best.

If you are within a two to three hour drive to Dixie Gun Works or similar establishment, go there and shoulder different guns and find one that fits you. If no one is close find a local club and politely explain what you want to do, most guys will let you handle their guns if they know what you are trying to do.

Nothing worse than buying a gun with visions of successful hunts and clay pigeon busting only to find that it doesn't fit and you can't hit squat with it.

FYI, some good points to consider there from FC!

Jackie Brown could make you one in the white, if not finished, for that budget. In AUG 2020 he quoted me $950 + $35 shipping for a 48" barreled 62-caliber club butt fowler, unifinished in the white. PM me if you want his email. Be 'aware' his prices could have gone up. We can help you finish one if you get one ...

A few things - There are many undenyably better to great to fantastic builders out there; meaning what they'll sell you is historically correct with perfect architecture, fancy wood, premium barrels, styling, carvings, etc., ... but at a much higher build price, etc.

I would not say that Jackie's guns or ability is 'rough' ... rather, what you will get from him, as a good builder, is a perfectly suitable flintlock made from really good to better parts, likely he same parts others use. Personally I find his arms a much better value proposition than say buying an $800+ Pedersoli or some other 'unknown' arm and hoping that the flint works reliably. All of the locks from Jackie I've received have worked perfectly from the 'git go'.

I have 2 flint smoothies from Jackie now and once had a 3rd. One is a 60" barreled 75-caliber with fancy tiger stripes of club butt design that is to die for! Accurate as all get out too, but it tends to break the gong or other metal targets when I shoot it at woodswalk events (100+ grain loads in paper cartridges), so I switch over to the 62-cal.

I'd strongly urge you towards his 62-cal club butt of 44" to 48" barrel ... with the fully tapered round barrel. They look cool (not many carry Club Butts), of early design (late 1600s) so could be used at any event really. Plus they are very light, easy to the shoulder, easy to handle even with the length, and can be used for game, whether it be deer or birds or targets. The one shown below was cherry stocked, but antiqued, of 48"barrel.

JB1.jpg

JB2.jpg

Back