• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington 1858 clone--Pietta vs. Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKVirginia

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen both of these guns locally, and I LOVE the Remmy 1858 design. Sleek, smooth, strong, and accurate by all accounts.

I can get my hands on a Pietta for $225, or an Uberti for $260. I've examined and handled both, and they both, to my untrained eye, look to be reasonably well made. Is there a reason I should spend the extra $35 on the Uberti? (Both are NIB)

" Is there a reason I should spend the extra $35 on the Uberti? "
Because it is a Uberti. If you ever want to sell it, it will bring a higher price than the other companys guns.

All of the things which were said about the Colt style gun in the post Uberti Revolver Quality
still apply. :)

Heh, I know everyone seemed to love the Uberti's, was curious if anyone thought the Pietta was its equal, or even in the same neighborhood qualitywise.

The Pietta is a good servaceable gun. I own several and have no complaints except the cylinder chambers seem to be a little undersize for good accuracy.
The new Ubertis may also have this problem. I don't know.
All of my C&B guns are at least 10 years old.

I do know that if I see a used gun at a gun show, I will be willing to pay $40 more for a Uberti in the same condition as a Pietta.

I would go with the Uberti, though I own both Uberti and Pietta guns.
My Pietta copy of the 1860 Colt is very well made and finished. However, its rifling is rather shallow at .006 inches deep. Oddly enough, the Uberti has the same groove depth.
Now, when it comes to the Remington copies, Uberti and Pietta differ.
The Uberti has rifling grooves .010 inches deep.
The Pietta has rifling grooves .005 inches deep, half the depth of the Uberti. Oddly enough, the Pietta Remington copy with the rugged patina finish has rifling only .003 inches deep.
Both Pietta and Uberti models have rifling with a 1 turn in 32 inches (1:32) rifling twist.
Does the deeper rifling of the Uberti guarantee a more accurate gun? No, far from it. There are too many variables involved, including human error.
But the deeper rifling will undoubtedly shrug off fouling a little better. It will also bite deeper into the ball or conical bullet, which may aid accuracy.
I'd say it's an extra $35 well spent. Having slightly deeper rifling certainly won't hurt a thing and just may make that revolver a real tack-driver.

Are those stainless models or what?? $225 for a standard blue steel 1858 Pietta is OUTRAGEOUS unless you're getting a case and starting kit with it. They can be found much cheaper at Cabelas, Bass Pro, & bunches of other places.

Hello JKVirginia,
From my swedish horizont I am a little puzzled on you Americans fascination regarding Uberti. Maybe because of long tradition or proving to be better? I am more of a rifle-shooter but has owned 4 Remington 1858 replicas. I admit I like the design on Remmy but favour the Roger&Spencer when it goes to competition-shooting.
My Remmys were all made during 1980s or prior. My first were an Armi San Paolo-made. Good shooter but medium-quality. Next was a Uberti (very antique-finish) bought 1984 at an auction in London (Christies) as beeing an original!!!When it was revealed beeing a fake I could trade it back with Christies. Third was a Pietta ("Progressive-twist"). The best I have owned and used for competition and nice to hold and look at. It was also the first replica that was "filling out" the grip and that was progressive as the originals. Not that small grip as the others. Last was a Uberti made in 1970s in good condition that I had for a short period and traded in as part for a matchlockgun!!! That last Uberti were with boring small grip, not with originalstyle-twist. It was classed as worth $ 80. Today I would choose the Pietta among the four.
JKVirginia, I suggest you have the two side by side and compare feeling in grip and what your eyes like and then choose, I wouldnt be scare of the Pietta.
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

This 20+year old Pietta is plenty accurate and it would have been nice if they had bored all the nipple holes to the same depth. As it is, cap hang-ups occur with every cylinder unless you tool down the nipples on the high chambers. No gain twist
1858rem25sml.jpg

This Uberti is a great more reliable and accurate enough. Hang-ups happen but can be minimized by putting the right english on when you cock the gun and by keeping the breach face, hammer cut, and cylinder clean.
ubertirem25.jpg

Uberti USA, Cimarron Arms, Taylors import the Uberti and offer factory service/parts.
One of the gunwriters claimed 3/4" fifty foot bench groups with the Dixie Gun Works target model which is the gain-twist revolver made by Pietta. That is a very interesting level of accuracy

Latest posts

Back