• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington 1858/Pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are good - You can get a gun that has a great action or you could end up with a rough one - it's a manure shoot. I have two Piettas and one Uberti. The Uberti is from the 70's and its action is smooth as glass. The two Piettas are from 2005 and 2006 and are ok - nothing to write home about. About getting it slicked up well that's something that only you can decide to do or not do. I'd shoot it and then make that choice.

They are good - You can get a gun that has a great action or you could end up with a rough one - it's a manure shoot. I have two Piettas and one Uberti. The Uberti is from the 70's and its action is smooth as glass. The two Piettas are from 2005 and 2006 and are ok - nothing to write home about. About getting it slicked up well that's something that only you can decide to do or not do. I'd shoot it and then make that choice.
Roger that. My 1860 Army I had to do some small filing on the hammer because of interference. So hopefully this one isn’t any worse.

Just pulled the trigger on a 1858 Remington by Pietta. Those of you that own one how do you like it, and should I get it tuned? I think she’ll look good next to my two 1860 Army’s 😊
Back in 2016 I believe I wanted an Uberti model, but come Christmas the $199 w/ starter kit was too good to pass up.

If you want to shoot much of anything besides a ball the loading window will need modified. The safety notch wouldn’t fully engage so I had to address that too. The chambers run small, about 0.446” then, and my barrel’s groove is 0.4535” so it was reamed to 0.449” and chamfered. I have smaller hands so I decided to sand off the stain I disliked and sanded down the grips profile a bit. At 15 yds it shoots just about 1/2” larger groups despite having a shorter barrel and poorer sights. It does shoot left though.

I think there were less things to address with the Uberti and its sized properly to the original for the most part, but you pay for that if you even find any of it necessary.

I wouldn’t sell mine.

Back in 2016 I believe I wanted an Uberti model, but come Christmas the $199 w/ starter kit was too good to pass up.

If you want to shoot much of anything besides a ball the loading window will need modified. The safety notch wouldn’t fully engage so I had to address that too. The chambers run small, about 0.446” then, and my barrel’s groove is 0.4535” so it was reamed to 0.449” and chamfered. I have smaller hands so I decided to sand off the stain I disliked and sanded down the grips profile a bit. At 15 yds it shoots just about 1/2” larger groups despite having a shorter barrel and poorer sights. It does shoot left though.

I think there were less things to address with the Uberti and its sized properly to the original for the most part, but you pay for that if you even find any of it necessary.

I wouldn’t sell mine.
I forgot to mention that the pressed front sight and lever catch are said to possibly fall out. Mine has had a lot of powder and lead through it developing loads and found the most accurate was a weighed 33 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford, an energetic powder no matter the projectile (up to my 195 grn bullets so far). If that happens I’ll dovetail a new one in, something I’d like to do with the sight anyway so as to get it shooting straight.

Shoot it and see what it does and then make a decision on tuning (of course check the timing is good)

I have nothing against the Pietta and I own a 2023. I like shooting the ROA and the 47 Walker better so am shifting to that. The Pietta is timed very nicely.

I had the front sight on the 1958 Remington ASP made (1976) fall out. I super glued it back in and fine.

I like the gun but the accuracy is not great. Then its a matter of if you like it and its not accurate and you do want accuracy, then yes tuning it may help. Chamber reaming would be where I would start.

Maybe of interest is the ASP chambers are tapered. I might measure the mouth and see what that is and play with some filler to get the ball up in less constricted front and see what that does.

Barrel seems to be larger as .454 balls vs the .457 my wife had for it when she was shooting it move 100 fps faster for the same load

Last edited:
Back