• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallguy888

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a smoothbore barrel at a tag sale. It has some rust and pits in it.

I am considering trying to sand the bore to remove the rust but dont know if the sanding marks on the metal will be worse than the rust. :hmm:

Any suggestions?

Try some steel wool first if it isn't pitted too bad. If that doesn't work some black wet/dry sandpaper might be in order. I did that once to smooth out the barrel on a smoothbore. I put a slotted shotgun tip on a long brass cleaning rod and used a bore guide. Then chucked the rod in my drill and ran it in and out on a slow speed. Of course if it isn't too bad, just shooting it may clean it out.

I picked up a smoothbore barrel at a tag sale. It has some rust and pits in it.

I am considering trying to sand the bore to remove the rust but dont know if the sanding marks on the metal will be worse than the rust. :hmm:

Any suggestions?

Naval Jelly or one of it's clones will work.

Tallguy888,
Iron out will eat the rust out but not the steel. If the barrel is browned or blued it will take the finish off.

pappydean

If the rust and pits is in the bore, use a lapping compound and a tight patch and remove it, 200 strokes should do a nice job, check every 50 strokes and repaste with lapping compound each time you restart...

Back