• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing The Butt Cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFL

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am new to the muzzleloading forum and muzzleloaders as a whole so excuse me if I make any amateur mistakes. I recently acquired an original 1770 French Pocket Pistol at an auction. I have been restoring it and wanted to get underneath the handgrip to wax the wood and remove the rust from the metal beneath. The big problem is that there some sort of"nail" which secures the butt cap from the outside of the wood. I don't think it is original because it doesn't seem like good craftsmanship but I have seen it on other flintlocks. Any idea how to remove the "nail" and butt cap?

need a photo. Does it go all the way through?If its a pin it could be taped out from one side. If its a nail into the wood you might cause a lot of damage removing it

No it is definitely not a pin. I am pretty sure it is a nail. I am not going to tamper with it. Opposite of the nail there is already a broken piece of wood which is how I got to look inside. Thanks anyway.

This is just my opinion but if the gun is easily taken apart, there is nothing wrong with carefully cleaning a old original up.

If a 'nail' was used and removing it could damage the gun, just leave it alone.

I think of these things like they are a part of the guns history so even though they might be crude, they are worth saving.

Here is a photo before I began restoring it. The ramrod is unfortunately missing.
12353433815_db08c885f9_c.jpg

This is the "nail".
12353886514_03acc6ebb0.jpg

This is the broken piece of wood where I can see the nail holding the butt cap in place.
12353434205_189b983f4d.jpg

Interesting little pistol! :)

If it were mine I would leave the butt cap alone.

If you try to remove it you will end up spreading the thin parts that are running up the sides of the grip.

When you try to reinstall it, you will never be able to pound them back down so they stay flush with the wood.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it. I will post some better photos of it when it is all cleaned up.

Since it is an antique, do only what you have to do to preserve it. Anything you do more than that, diminishes it's value. Remember, less is more when it comes to antiques.

All I have been doing was removing rust with Hoppe's 9 and some 0000 steel wool and waxing the wood with renaissance wax. The barrel has a lot of rust and pitting, so I am focusing on clearing it out. But I am not planning on selling it. Ever. So, does the value really matter? Shouldn't I just make sure it can survive for years and years to come?

I might reach inside the butt cap through the gap with a Q-tip dipped in gun oil to oil the inside of the cap, just to help stabilize it from further corrosion. But I wouldn't remove that nail. There's too much chance of something bad happening, and too little chance of something good occurring. And I LOVE to remove pistol and revolver stocks to look for names or messages underneath.

"But I am not planning on selling it. Ever. So, does the value really matter?"

I am reminded of the TV ad where Smoky The Bear says "Only you can prevent forest fires." Likewise, in the same mellifluous voice, I say to you "Only you can answer that question." :haha:

Latest posts

Back