• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacement stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
So I have a couple T/C Renegades and have to admit that the stocks just dont fit me well....
I just did a Lyman GPR kit and THAT stock fits me GRAET!
Any suggestions on a replacemement stock that wouldnt be any harder to inlet then a Lyman kit and have approximately the same drop and comb of the Lyman GPR for the T/C Renegade?
please and thank you!

Pecotonica made some pre inleted stocks for the TC rifles that had a different drop than the TC stock. I tried one and it lined up a lot better for me. The TC stocks just never did fit me either...

I did one in a fullstock from pecatonica and I think that is a little more involved than putting a lyman kit together even though I have'nt done a lyman kit so I cant say for sure. But it was alot of work and you can make it as plain or as fancy as you want. I learned alot while building it. Pecatonica's catalog says that is has 3 in. of drop . It does fit me better than my old renagade stock. Hope this helps, Dew

I think the stocks made by Pecatonica River and sold by them directly to the customer or sold thru Track of the Wolf are made for the TC Hawken with the 15/16 inch octagon barrel.
I'm not sure if it would work with a Renegade or not.

The added drop of these stocks is nice and it brings the sights up to the eye rather than forcing the shooter to bend his head down.

I just bought a Pecatonic replacement stock for a TC with 15/16ths barrel. I'm pretty sure the catalog (without digging mine out) says the stocks also are made with a one-inch barrel channel.

Like DEW suggests, there will be some work invloved in fitting the stock, it's not a drop-in proposition. Though the lock and barrel are not yet installed, I do belive the extra drop is going to work out really well.

By the way, I'm quite pleased with my stock. I ordered the middle grade of curley maple and got what would be a top grade stock, except for two small knots showing on one side. It'll look great. I did have the inletting done for the buttplate, it's very nearly a perfect fit.

Pecatonica River charges a base price for carving the stock plus the barrel channel, lock mortice and ramrod hole drilling.
It is usually about $50.

Onto this price you must add the price of the wood blank you select and these vary depending on the type of wood and the grade of the wood if it is curly.

I notice that the basic carving price isn't listed for the TC stock in this link however I'm sure you could call Dick Greensides (the owner) and get a current price. He's a great guy to talk to and he will do anything you ask of him.
Their phone number is (815) 968-1995.

The prices of a Curly Maple halfstock blank is $55 (CM1: plain wood), $75 (CM2: some curl), $115 (CM3: very nice curl), $160 (CM4: Excellent curl), $220 (CM5: The best).

Here is a link to their site:
Pecatonica River TC Stocks

Be sure to nose around in that site.
He offers a lot of very interesting "kits" and I have never been disappointed with anything I've bought from him over the last 14 years.

OH! :cursing: I forgot about the charge for the TC inlets. :shake:

Sorry about that.

What I meant was the wood was 75, then add the inletting charge.

You can see the prices for Pecatonica stocks here:
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/stockprices.shtml

I bought my cm#2 stock for the price shown, and as I wrote above got a very nicely figured stock, with the exception of two small tight knots showing on the left side. I paid an additional, $20, I believe it was, to have the stock inletted for a buttplate, that was the only charge for inletting on top of the base price that I paid -- and I think it was darned well worth it, as this is my first muzzleloading re-stocking project. Overall, I thought the price quite reasonable.

Remember the Pecatonica stocks are only 98% inletted, so you will need some chisels to install the component parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since writting the reply just above, I've managed to locate my check book and see what I actually paid Pecatonica for my stock. I must have paid something additional for inlettting, otherwise it doesn't add up.

Remebering is always about some degree of forgetting. I went through a flurry of purchases at the time I ordered the stock, and must have just forgotten what I paid. Nevertheless, I still feel like I got a good deal on the stock, which I intended as a practice item before jumping into bigger and more complicated projects.

The stock you got from Dick Greensides is typical of how he does business. For a stock to rate the higher grade, it has to meet the standards for the ENTIRE length of the stock, and on both sides. I am not so sure that other stock providers are quite so " fussy " until they get to the very highest grades of wood.

Anyway, you usually get a very nice piece of Wood from Dick, and that makes it a pleasure doing business with him. I have been to his shop a couple of times, and peaked into the back room where he has employees drilling ramrod holes, or inletting parts. These are all very good artisans, or Dick would not let them do work for him. If you ever receive a stock from Pecatonic River Long Rifle Supply, that has anything wrong with it, don't hesitate to call Dick and ship it back. He will make good on the transaction. To see the grain, and the fiddle back on the wood, just run a damp cloth over the wood, and you will see how the stock will look after it has an oil finish applied.

Sorry I havn't been on hear in a few days but I just wanted to say that pecatonica does make one for a 1 in. channel. That is what mine is,but mine is a full stock. I got my stock for the price of plain maple but it does have some nice curl in it. If I knew how I might try to post some pictures but I stripped my rifle down and I am going to redo it. I recently finished a flint long rifle and I realized I left way to much wood on my tc,and I might try to pour a pewter nose cap and put a patch box on it. This gun building thing kinda takes on a life of its own once you get going on it. And since I can't afford parts for another one right now I might as well redo this one. Its paid for. Audois Dew

I forgot to tell you that it will work for a 1 in. channel but try not to take to much wood off of the lock panel because there is not much there. The corner of my lock sticks up over the wood just a touch. That is probably my fault. But you probably wouldn't notice it unless I pointed it out to you. I want to apolagize for mispelling audios. I guess I ought to study up on my spelling before I try to spell them fancy words. But what can you expect frum sumone hoo gadiated frum tha 12 grade? have a good one,Dew

Back