• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Report on 2015-2016 NC squirrel season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Summary of 2015-2016 squirrel season

Squirrels seen: 41
Squirrels shot at: 20
Squirrels bagged: 16
80% hit rate for shots at squirrels

(Oh yeah, and squirrels who fell into deep pools of water after being shot from trees, requiring me to strip to my underwear and wade in very cold water with a yucky mud and sharp stick bottom to find them: 1 :grin: )

Typically in round numbers I shoot at about ½ the squirrels I see and get about ½ the squirrels I shoot at, so this is a better hit rate than usual (apparently I shot better this year), although the total number of squirrels seen is below that of the last several years.

In comparison, last year I saw about 52 squirrels (lost count, but this is correct +/- 1), shot at 25, and bagged 14, a 56% hit rate.

While this season started out great, the mid and late season was terrible. I shot 14 of the 16 squirrels between opening day, Oct 15, and November 30. First 6 weeks of a 19 ½ week season. 88% of squirrels in 30% of the season.

100% of the squirrels were taken before Christmas with more than 2 months of hunting left in the season.

95% of shots at squirrels were taken before Christmas. After Christmas, all through January to the end of February I got 1 shot at a squirrel (miss).

Squirrels are usually much less visible in January and February, but this year was especially pronounced.

Basic lesson is hunt early and shoot well.

Only 7 ½ months to 2016-2017 squirrel season!

Sounds like a long wait Squirrel Tail!

I didn't keep track of numbers as close as you, but took a lot of them this Fall too.

My hit to shot ratio was high, but I cheated with my fowling piece :haha:

Nothing better than getting out in the hardwoods for a peaceful squirrel hunt, huh?

Well, there is turkey hunting with a smokepole! :hmm:

Thanks for sharing, Skychief

Sounds like a solid season and ratio. I'd be happy with it anyhow. How do you like to prepare them?

Sound like you did alright to me. Did you use the same gun for all your hunting and if so what was it and the load? Thanks Dan.

Congrats and well done, going into cold water to recover downed game tain't easy, I know how that water sucks the warmth right out of you, and many would not bother, but you did. Thanks for sharing and best of luck next with next year's season.

Thanks for all the comments!

I have always roasted them over an open fire, although this year I also grilled some on the backyard grill with olive oil and vinegar. Just as basic as you can get, really. I love it, no one else in my family will eat it. I also save the heart and liver to use as catfish bait in the summer.

Using a 54 cal smoothbore with 70 grns 2f, 2 greased over powder wads, equal volume of #6 shot in a greased paper shotcup (2 wraps of plain paper that has 4 cuts 1/2 way along its length), 1 over shot card. Usually throws a good pattern to 20-25 yards, although occasionally the lower half of the shot cup will clump together and just be a slug.

Whenever I shoot game I go to great lengths to recover it if I can, seems the ethical thing to do.

It seems you really have that load dialed in. Thanks for the description. :)

Larry

FUN! I was able to get out just once, my german shepherd MADE me. We got two, took the crockett and head shot two in a row. Saw like 5-6 and shot just twice. Those buggers out here can get 70 feet up real quick (large ponderosa pines ya know). I too am the only one that will eat em (except Grizzly, he just gets the heart, lungs n liver). I have yet to roast on a fire....placed to top of bucket list!

Great job, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Back