• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

repro M1861's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linus9

32 Cal.
Reaction score
although im not new to guns or reloading, and i own and shoot a few bpcr's, i have yet to get into muzzle loading. what i will get (eventually) is a 1861 springfield and a harpers ferry flintlock pistol. yes, one can see that ive been hanging around dixie[url] gunworks.com[/url]. are the kits they have avialable good ones? i would prefer to get a kit and finish it myself, as i could make the wood look the way i want. but i would not be above getting a finished musket and refinishing it. S&S advertises '61 springfields made by euroarms for 475.00, are these decent? i am into US marshal arms and would like to continue my collection (obsession, mania whatever you want to call it) back further than 1873. i would appreciate any and all advice from experienced muzzle loader guys.

thanks,
mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Armisport 61. In my opinion, I do not feel that any company in producing a decent copy of the .58 cal Springfields. In the wrist area there is a large humped area, behind the barrel tang and the metal to wood fit is not very good. Having said this, I still plan on buying another repro musket. These problems can be fixed with a little time. I would reccomend purchasing one from John G. Zimmerman, do a serch on the web, and getting one of the de-farbed ones. He removes all Italian markings from the barrel and restampes them with markings similar to those used in 1861. The price with be a little move but you will be happy not looking at stampings that would be seen on a modern gun. Also, with a little work, they are pretty accurate. I just got back from the range this evening and was shooting one jagged hole at 50 yards.
Hope this helps, Brian

Back