• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Retrieved Roundball From Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buenger228

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I shot a nice little buck with a flintlock that I made, and I retrieved the ball while field dressing it. This is my first black powder kill, so I think I'll put the ball on a necklace to savor the memory. Anyway, the shot was a shade under 50 yards and the buck was quartered towards me. The ball went in front of the right shoulder, through the heart/lung area, and flattened up against a rib on the other side. He didn't make it 15 yards. The load was a .490 ball patched with .010" Bore Buttered cotton on top of 70 grains Goex FFFg. I built the rifle a couple of years ago in between classes at Texas A&M with TOTW's Issac Haines kit. I'm so impressed with the rifle and what it can do that I'm going after some South Texas pigs with it next weekend. I don't think I'll ever use a cartridge again...
RoundBall.jpg
Deer3.jpg

:thumbsup: Nice buck. I'm hoping for my first ml whitetail this year. Way to go.
:hatsoff:

Jac S. Muell

BillinOregon said:
Buenger: Very nice gun, very nice buck, and a very fine shot. I tip my hat sir, and wish you many more traditional harvests.

What he said! :hatsoff:

I've only ever recovered one round ball from a deer, so you may not get enough for a string-of-beads style necklace. But I still have mine. Good addition to a medicine bag. :wink:

Right on! Doesnt look like a little buck to me. Id like to see better pics of that rifle and moccasins too if you got the time.

Congrats and Waidmanns Heil from Germany! :thumbsup:

Didn't expect that the ball would flatten so strong. :shocked2:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Congrat's! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It's got to feel great to harvest game with a gun that you built yourself.
I hope to do that some day.......got to build one first though. :haha:

That's outstanding...congratulations!
:hatsoff:
And yes, there is something about taking game with a Flintlock that affects some folks to the point where everything else pales by comparison...everything I hunt I use Flintlock rifles & smoothbores exclusively now...sold off caplocks and many CF rifles / shotguns over the past several years as they were just laying in their cases.

Good luck with the hog...

Good goin' buenger! :hatsoff:
Nice buck! Beautiful rifle!

Purty kewl that you recovered the ball too. I have yet to recover one. So far they've all been pass-thrus.

Good luck on them pigs. :thumbsup: We'll be waiting to hear the results.

Back