• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Returning to camp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Saw another "title" which was the same as this, but in a very different "forum". Seeing "the return to camp" has always been a pleasant experience for me....just thought it deserved "some time".

Although returning to a deer camp doesn't quite approach the returning to an elk camp, I've done it many more times and the "shelter" has varied from my Dad's comfortable home to the back end of a station wagon and some shelters in between and all have been welcome sights at the end of a day's hunt.

The evening meals have varied from gourmet cooking at my Dad's house which were prepared by my sister all the way to a "cold canned supper" sitting in the cold and all were truly appreciated.

Although the "deer camp accommodations varied a lot, the elk camp amenities were more stable and this was due to using the same hunting area and being able to plan for a comfortable hunt w/ suitable equipment....a large, completely waterproof walled tent w/ satellite storage tents, good cooking utensils and stoves, warm, comfortable sleeping arrangements, delicious pre-cooked meals and a Mr. Heater double burner propane space heater for the morning and evening cold.

The elk camp was on a "dead end" logging road at 10,200 feet elevation and this location afforded many years of nearly complete privacy...an occasional pickup came through , but didn't linger. Surprising since we hunt in a Nat'l Forest.

Our departure time for the climb to 11,000 feet was 5:30 AM and the return time varied....but mostly in the early dark hours. Sometimes when the elk quarters were being packed in, 2AM or somewhat later was normal. The "sack" was much more welcome when this happened along w/ a hearty meal.

I no longer hunt elk, but my son still uses the same equipment and the same campsite and is still very successful in killing elk. It's a "rough time" for me while he's hunting but I've had my day and I'm a realistic person who realizes that it's no longer possible......Fred

I no longer hunt elk, but my son still uses the same equipment and the same campsite and is still very successful in killing elk. It's a "rough time" for me while he's hunting but I've had my day and I'm a realistic person who realizes that it's no longer possible......Fred

You remind me of my father, he hunted all over the world and reached a point where he no longer could do it.

When that point happened, we took up off shore fishing, traveling the world, his obsession helped me get a divorces. He could sit in a fighting chair and catch marline and sail fish while sipping a cold beer.

Getting old is not pleasant, but it beats what is in second place.

Good post, Fred.

I'd like to add that the excitement and enjoyment of the return to camp has a lot to do with the company one has on the hunt with him/her. If hunting solo, the return to camp at dark is certainly nice, but not nearly as much so as when one has their best friends coming in as well. The comradery and chance for everyone to share their day's adventures is a special part of the return to camp.

Returning to a hunting camp year after year is pleasant and lends a feeling of security in the sense of the familiarity of friends and terrain.

However, for me, it never matched the anticipation and possible trepidation of trying new spots, new species, and, occasionally, new companions.
The feeling I get is somewhat similar to the anticipation I felt as a child when wondering if Christmas will ever get here.

I try to hunt one or two new spots every year just for that feeling of adventure when exploring the unknown. That has become more difficult lately due to age and its accompanying infirmities but I still give it a go.

We have a member at camp that has been for 54 years, he recently lost his drivers license due to poor vision. His children barely get him to camp twice a year, and usually one night. His wife is dead and nobody else can so I take him for bear season and first week of rifle. He lives to go, doesn't really hunt much but its all he really has in life. I also take him some for trout/spring turkey, and late/early flintlock. He never asks to leave early....

Nice pics.....a "cozy" tent is more hospitable when the outside conditions are as depicted in the bottom photo.

Noticed a smoke pipe in the tent w/ probably an accompanying wood burner? My large wall tent came w/ a wood burner but never used it because of the limited time spent in camp. Departing at 5:30 AM and returning in the dark hours doesn't allow for a wood burning stove....eating and sleeping have priority. The 2 burner MR. Heater doesn't smell nearly as good as a wood fire, but it's a lot handier for the short times it's used in the AM and PM.....and it heats the tent very quickly.

To some, a hunt as depicted above is "too much", but that's how I and the members of all our camps did it and seeing most hunts are limited to several days or possibly 2 weeks, maximizing actual hunt time was important.

The only exception to maximizing hunt time was in a grouse hunting camp.....no need to start early. 8AM to 5PM was the norm and we soon found out that one bird dog wasn't enough and ended up using 3.

Thanks to all for the kind words and replies.....Fred

Back