• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rice Barrel back log.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramrodroy

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Any one else have to wait for a rice barrel. My new .40 was supposed to be finished this last month but the maker told me that the barrel I wanted is back-ordered two to four months. Needless to say, it is very frustrating. Our nicest weather is August and September. October it begins to rain, doesn' hardly stop until July.
Its not so much fun working up a good load and zeroing are rifle when its rainy and windy.

I had a similar problem with a different caliber. I was inquiring with a well-known supplier about an .11 ga. smoothbore kit. I was told there was at least a year-long wait on the barrel. They also use Rice Barrels. I suspect that no one is over-producing ANYTHING in this economy. The current thinking is that it is better to have a customer wait than to have a pile of something no one is buying.

For what Rice charges, they ought to be able to hire more workers and increase production! I didn't want to wait for months, so my Builder is using a Round-bottomed Swamped Colerain for my .54 Lancaster build:thumbsup:

Blame it on Keb, he is kicking out a rifle a week. I think he catches the barrels as they roll off the line. :haha:

To begin with....I plan waaay ahead for my builds. That said, I think there's some possible reasons for the bbl shortage and long waits even though there are more bbl makers.

Many builders who have to satisfy customers' due dates stockpile bbls and some hard to get components.....I'd do the same thing if my livlihood depended on my builds. These builders can deplete bbl inventories very quickly.

Rice changed ownership and moved to new facilities....are they having production problems?

Some bbl makers have "friends" who receive preference....certain builders mainly use certain brands of bbls and these bbls aren't available to "ordinary folk".

GM stopped producing MLing bbls and possibly the "slack" hasn't been filled by the newer bbl makers. GM had high production MLer bbl making facilities...now they're gone.

So now, because of the bbl shortaqe, even the hobby builders are stockpiling bbls ....no wonder there's a shortage.

Sorry to say, all one can do is plan way ahead......Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
Swamp Rat said:
Blame it on Keb, he is kicking out a rifle a week. I think he catches the barrels as they roll off the line.

Not true. I have a small supply from the remaining stock of JR Salvo. When they're gone I am just like every other nobody that ain't anybody.

Muzzleloading barrel makers are mostly one man operation..
Colrain is the only exception I know of.
Think cottage industy...one man 3-400 barrels a year maybe?
Plan ahead....or buy exsisting..used if nessesary.

I got a call from a gunsmith with two arms in the works for me -- he could not get reasonable barrels in the original spec from a big supplier we have all heard of or alternatives due to hunting season orders this year. That was Saturday.

Seems to be going around...

Well I ordered it in January. As too "planning ahead" I had no idea that Pres. O. would make it possible for me to buy a custom rifle by allowing me to get 3 times what I paid for my ar15. I had no way to plan ahead for that. Otherwise I can't imagine having that much money on hand to spend on myself. When I bought that AR15 I had it on lay away for six months just to pay for that.

time to work on the wood parts...and brass or metal parts.....
barrels are something we have always waited on.....either to save up for the buying, or buying and wiating for it to arrive :rotf:

*sigh* it's a hobby............

I jusst began shooting my Early Your that began life as a Chamber's kit. The Rice barrel is worth the wait. Slick as anything, and seems to shoot both 50 and 50 grain powder loads through the same hole. I haven't seen that before. I can already tell that I'm going to like this one.

frogwalking said:
Slick as anything, and seems to shoot both 50 and 50 grain powder loads through the same hole.
quote]
I should have said 50 and 60 grain powder loads through the same hole. (5 or the former and 3 of hte latter.)

I just waited over 5 years for a Randall knife!!!! I'm sorry but I have a hard time having any sympathy for a few month wait. Enjoy the anticipation and dream about how much fun it will be when you do get it. FRJ

That statement is a direct reflection of your business knowledge. :grin:

Keith Lisle

Back