• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rice or Colerian????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpowell

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Are Rice barrels profiled to the same exterior dimensions as Colerian? Anyone with experience shooting both? Accuracy? Break-in?

Don,
they are both the same profiles. While I haven't built or shot as many of each as a number of fellows here, I'v used both and had no complaints of either. The outside of the Rice barrel requires less draw filing than the Colrain as it is much smoother.

Don,
I have 2 with Rice barrels, one with a Colerain and one with a Green Mountain barrel. All will shoot straighter than I can hold them. That said, I spent less time working in the Rice and GM barrels than I did the Colerain. So for me the time saved was worth the esxtra I paid for them. But that's my 2 cents.

The Rice is the best finished barrel inside & outside, no doubt about it. The breechplug fit in the Rice will be perfect, on the Colerains I have to refit about 3 out of 10 of them. I have yet to find a Rice breechplug that was not a perfect fit out of about 25+ barrels I have bought from them.

Contour, depends on what barrel it is. Some variances on same style barrel from Colerain to Rice but close, and some variances on barrels from same company, as barrels could have been made on dif. machines with more/less wear & dif cutters, etc.

Accuracy, who knows.. They all shoot better than I can hold any of them, Colerain, Getz, Goodoien, Grn. Mrn., Rice, all of them very accurate.......

The only thing I don't really car for, but live with on the Rice barrel is the shape of the breechplug lug. It is not tapered & I prefer it to be like the Colerain is.

:thumbsup:

Rice has an overall better exterior finish from the factory. The bores are pretty close. GM swamped barrels are in between.

Rice requires sanding and light wet stoning/Colerain requires hours of draw filing.

My experience is the same as Birddog's. Rice is better hands down. They have a better outside finish resulting in a lot less time to finish. I have never seen a Rice breech that wasn't 90% or better contact with the shoulder. I can't say that about Colerain. It's not that Colerain doesn't make a good barrel, they do. I just don't like draw filing and refitting breeches.
They both will shoot better than I can hold.

Birddog6 said:
The Rice is the best finished barrel inside & outside, no doubt about it. The breechplug fit in the Rice will be perfect, on the Colerains I have to refit about 3 out of 10 of them. I have yet to find a Rice breechplug that was not a perfect fit out of about 25+ barrels I have bought from them.

Contour, depends on what barrel it is. Some variances on same style barrel from Colerain to Rice but close, and some variances on barrels from same company, as barrels could have been made on dif. machines with more/less wear & dif cutters, etc.

Accuracy, who knows.. They all shoot better than I can hold any of them, Colerain, Getz, Goodoien, Grn. Mrn., Rice, all of them very accurate.......

The only thing I don't really car for, but live with on the Rice barrel is the shape of the breechplug lug. It is not tapered & I prefer it to be like the Colerain is.

Birddog,
While this subject is open how do you rate the Getz and Goodoien? :hmm:

IMHO, Getz makes a great barrel......... if you ever get it....... I have used their barrels with good success, have 2-3 rifles with them, have 6-7 of them in stock. But I will never wait on them to ship me a barrel again.

Goodoien barrel is a superly accurate barrel. Built 2 with them in .38 cal & right off the workbench first time out they shot 1/2" groups at 50 yards. Most accurate barrels I have ever shot. Now with crappy eyesight, all barrels pretty much shoot the same for me. But in my hayday, the Goodoien outshone all I ever shot.

Right now, my choice of barrel is the Rice barrel. Absolutely great guys to deal with, great barrel, superb finish Inside & Out, breechplus fit on the last 25+ I have bought were perfect, not close, but perfect...... And ANYONE that knows me knows I am one picky SOB when it comes to barrels, bores & parts....... Especially rifle bores......

Most guys go get a barrel, pick it up, say " Yep thats it" & come home with it. Not me. I go get a barrel, I swab that sucker clean & dry & borescope it & drop lights in it & etc., I want that sucker Perfect..... If it has a wave or blemish anywhere, I get out another one. If the guy selling them can't deal with that, I won't deal with him. That being said, I have sorted thru allot of different barrels, I have not yet put back a Rice barrel for another one.......

Birddog6 said:
Most guys go get a barrel, pick it up, say " Yep thats it" & come home with it. Not me. I go get a barrel, I swab that sucker clean & dry & borescope it & drop lights in it & etc., I want that sucker Perfect..... If it has a wave or blemish anywhere, I get out another one. If the guy selling them can't deal with that, I won't deal with him. That being said, I have sorted thru allot of different barrels, I have not yet put back a Rice barrel for another one.......

How often do you run across a wave or blemish?

And how about Long Hammock Barrels, and W. E. Rayl? I saw that Chambers uses them also. I haven't heard of them but I'm still very new and still deciding what gun to build. Although I guess with buying a Chambers kit I get what they send.

ToddB How often do you run across a wave or blemish? [/quote said:
I have ran across this several times on the Colerains. Normally it is just reamer marks or whatever & do not effect the accuracy or shooting of the barrel & after time they will most likely shoot out & clean up. However, when I build a rifle for someone I don't want Any questions of the bore or marks in the bore, I want it the best I can see.... and it that takes swabbing out 2-3-4-5 of them to get what I want, then so be it.

Plus the fact that I am real picky... :grin: :rotf:

ToddB said:
And how about Long Hammock Barrels, and W. E. Rayl? I saw that Chambers uses them also. I haven't heard of them but I'm still very new and still deciding what gun to build. Although I guess with buying a Chambers kit I get what they send.

I have not used either as I have never had a reason to use other than Colerain, Rice, or Getz. I do have one Long Hammock barrel & it appears to be perfect inside....

And I am by No Means a authority of barrels...... :bow: I just know what I look for & what I prefer.... :wink:

Birddog6 said:
And I am by No Means a authority of barrels...... :bow: I just know what I look for & what I prefer....

Keith, what barrel is it on that gorgeous York that I'm still drooling over?

-----I know a guy that had a hammock barrel in 50 cal. that grouped like a shotgun, sand bagged at 50 yds.-----

rubincam said:
-----I know a guy that had a hammock barrel in 50 cal. that grouped like a shotgun, sand bagged at 50 yds.-----

From what I have heard about Long Hammock barrels, that sounds like a shooter, loader or builder issue, not a barrel issue....

You would be amazed of the rifles I have bought that "wouldn't group". I bought them, took them out back & shot them a day to find the group, posted them for sale, & resold them. I made a couple hundred $ & plus got to enjoy a day worth of shooting them...

Back