• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle to Smoothbore Conversion...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Forumers,
A few years ago, I bought two shorter/youth-style flintlock kits from Sitting Fox as future presents for my grandkids. I'm ready to start putting them together, but since having joined the forum and followed various threads regarding fowlers and such, I've decided I'd rather have the versatility of a smoothbore for them to learn to shoot with...Both have the Spaniard-made "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. Kentucky Rifle" barrels in .45 cal @ 32.5" in length. I'm pretty handy with a benchpress, but I have a feeling that the reaming process should be done by someone who truly knows what they are doing so I don't muck it up; my other question is...can this even be done without compromising the integrity of the barrel??? Also, there may already be past posts about this very topic, so my apologies for not doing my background research.
Your collective wisdom tempered by experience are truly appreciated!

The first issue with a lot of inexpensive (CVA) barrels is the depth of the dovetails for the sights and barrel underlugs. This limits the bore size. They can safely be smoothbored by removing the rifling but enlarging the bore beyond that may not be possible. The second issue is the breech plug/bolster design which pretty much precludes any work requiring removal of the breech plug, Bobby Hoyt, (717) 642-6696, could tell you and do the job reasonably if it can be done at all.

Copy that, hawkeye2...if I get any further incoming replies, I'll give Bobby a call after things settle a bit...
Kind regards

The first issue with a lot of inexpensive (CVA) barrels is the depth of the dovetails for the sights and barrel underlugs. This limits the bore size. They can safely be smoothbored by removing the rifling but enlarging the bore beyond that may not be possible. The second issue is the breech plug/bolster design which pretty much precludes any work requiring removal of the breech plug, Bobby Hoyt, (717) 642-6696, could tell you and do the job reasonably if it can be done at all.
Hi hawkeye2,
I've got a simple question: could you (100% safely) shoot shot in a .45cal rifled barrel?

Hello Fellow Forumers,
A few years ago, I bought two shorter/youth-style flintlock kits from Sitting Fox as future presents for my grandkids. I'm ready to start putting them together, but since having joined the forum and followed various threads regarding fowlers and such, I've decided I'd rather have the versatility of a smoothbore for them to learn to shoot with...Both have the Spaniard-made "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. Kentucky Rifle" barrels in .45 cal @ 32.5" in length. I'm pretty handy with a benchpress, but I have a feeling that the reaming process should be done by someone who truly knows what they are doing so I don't muck it up; my other question is...can this even be done without compromising the integrity of the barrel??? Also, there may already be past posts about this very topic, so my apologies for not doing my background research.
Your collective wisdom tempered by experience are truly appreciated!
Bobby Hoyt is the Master of such work in the entire world. Every Muzzleloader knows of him, has great reputation. Google him! He's not expensive and has great turn-around time. I'm sure a bazillion other guys will echo my comment.

For the other side of this “my view” of making a smooth bore out of a CVA is money poorly spent. Much like pulling the V8 out of your Mustang to put in a four cylinder. You reduce the accuracy of ball and will have a lousy shotgun.

Back