• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifles barrel to smooth bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T/C 45 cal Cherokee rifle. The original barrel is in Rough shape so I bought a new barrel for it some years ago. Would it be possible to make a functional smooth bore out of the original 45 cal barrel? If so what caliber would you likely end up with?

depends on what size the barrel is i would think, Mr. Bobby Hoyt could answer your question and solve your issue for a few bucks.

I just saw there is a very similar post on this topic. Where is the gentleman located?

Robert Hoyt
2379 Mt, Hope Rd.
Fairfield Pa. 17320-9756
717-642-6696

I've never used Bobby, But have heard good things over the years here.

I hope this helps,From what I hear his prices are very resonable .

John Smothermon
Smo

I have a renegade barrel in poor shape as well and wondered like you how neat a smooth bore barrel would be from it.

Do keep us posted as to your progress.

I had a friends .50 Renegade with a pydrodex destroyed bore, bored and rifled to .54 by Mr Hoyt, he did a fantastic job, the cost shipped was $140.

Here is what he started out with, a sewer pipe.
roached out barrel.jpg

Another for Bobby. I had a barrel bored out and rifled. He can also sleeve a barrel if you want to keep the same caliber.

Reaming an old rifle barrel to smooth bore is a great way to repurpose a neglected barrel. Keep in mind that it won't be a sky buster for geese. Generally the largest you can go is 54 to 58 caliber. trying to swing all that weight for pass shooting is quite a task. Consider that shot guns have heavy breeches and thin barrel walls at the muzzle. It creates a natural sighting plain that accounts for drop of the shot pattern as well as substantially lightens the front of the barrel for swinging after a dove or quail. It will work just reamed, but it will be easier to aim and carry if you have the forward end of the barrel tapered to shave off weight. I have done this by hand with files, taking the forward two thirds of a 34 inch barrel to round, and I have done it on a lathe. Frankly, the hand method keeps the octagon to 16-a-gon to 32-a-gon to round a much nicer appearance. I filed the corners starting about 1/4 way up the barrel making gradual additional flats so by 1/3 of the barrel it was 16 flats and then from there to half way up the barrel i gradually filed the 16 corners to look like 32 flats at the half way point. the forward half of the barrel was filed round and slightly tapered to the muzzle. That was only a 7/8 ACTF 50 caliber smooth bore, but it made the barrel much better balanced and looked pretty good on a half stock. I epoxied a thin barrel rib under it. Lost that gun when my shop burned.

Back