• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rounballs been mighty quiet...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchawkeye

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I know Roundballs hunting...Starting to wonder if he's got that coffee can sitting in the backyard and is sitting beside it...... :rotf:

nchawkeye said:
I know Roundballs hunting...Starting to wonder if he's got that coffee can sitting in the backyard and is sitting beside it...... :rotf:

Roundballs been up at 4:30am and down at 10:30pm every day for the past 8-10 days...couldn't answer the alarm this morning and am just getting ready to go sit a ditch / trail crossing for a couple hours.

Other than two nice bucks chasing does past me at 100mph, I have not had the sights on a shooter yet...I've seen a coupel does, button buck, a spike, a cowhorn a little 4 point "forky", and one buck slipping through a thicket about 50yds away that I figured for an 8 pointer but too much thick brushs and saplings to risk wounding it...one stand location an old doe has made me and I think she has assumed responsibility as the "neighborhood watch" doe...every time I go to that stand she stars blowing constantly but I can get a shot at her...but I'll kill her dead first chance I get...been a frustrating several days.

Been holding off on does until after Thanksgiving, but I swear, with a new .62cal rifled Flintlock across my lap that I need to christen it gets harder every time I see one ! :grin:

Roundball,

Sounds like you oughta set up about 50 yards away from that stand where you got busted. Put an old jacket in there to draw her attention and, when she blows, ...BLOOEY!!!

Good luck at the ditch!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I think she has assumed responsibility as the "neighborhood watch" doe...every time I go to that stand she stars blowing constantly . . .

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I gave a neighbor permission to hunt my land last year and came home from work at the tail-end of bow season to find a doe trussed up on an orange snow sled with a tag in her ear and a note that said "This is yours". Turns out she had spent several days stomping and blowing at him and would not leave even when he threw things at her. He killed her in the AM and went back and took a beautiful eight point in the afternoon. His son was hunting across the road and took a nice buck that day, too.

Not as satisfying as hunting 'em but she tasted good. :wink:

Remember, we wait all year for this!

roundball said:
Other than two nice bucks chasing does past me at 100mph,..

100mph, and chasing does?
That sounds really like 'Jägerlatein' :haha:

Waidmanns Heil,Roundball :thumbsup:
:hatsoff:

undertaker said:
roundball said:
Other than two nice bucks chasing does past me at 100mph,..

100mph, and chasing does?
That sounds really like 'Jägerlatein' :haha:

Waidmanns Heil,Roundball :thumbsup:
:hatsoff:

Undertaker!

That'll work when you know where you have to look at.

Reagrds

Kirrmeister

"All hunters are liars, except you and me. And I'm not so sure about you."

I think that quote was originally about fishermen, but it fits here too. :grin:

roundball said:
"...Other than two nice bucks chasing does past me at 100mph, I have not had the sights on a shooter yet..."

(I thought it was understood there's a plus or minus 80mph factor in there :wink: )

jethro224 said:
Roundball,

Sounds like you oughta set up about 50 yards away from that stand where you got busted. Put an old jacket in there to draw her attention and, when she blows, ...BLOOEY!!!
:hmm: that might not be a bad idea...I'll have to look around and see if I can come up with a suitable place to sit that favors the wind...
Good luck at the ditch!
I'm sitting in a horseshoe shaped blind I built against a huge tree using natural materials from the area, leaning against that tree late this afternoon, and at 5:00 (30 minutes before to dark to see) I hear a deer approaching through the dry leaves.

It gets louder and closer and I realize it's coming from over my right shoulder...I have the breeze OK but it sounds like it's closing on a line that is going to walk itself right into the back side open end of the horseshoe blind.

As I live and breathe, a 4 point buck walks past the tree and side of the blind less than a car length away...maybe 15 feet max and stops parallel to the side of the blind, looking straight ahead the direction he was traveling.

The breeze is from him to me so he doesn't smell me, I'm camoed from head to toe and the blind is excellent so he doesn't see me, and I'm almost comatose so he doesn't hear me...no idea I'm 15 feet off his left shoulder.

Fortunately I was sitting at a pretty comfortable position and was able to stay perfectly still, but I'm sitting there with a Flintlock at an awkward angle across my lap and hands that started out only weighing 10 lbs and ended up weighing a ton by the time he moved on which was 12 minutes by my watch!

He stood there looking intently off in the distance...the woods were dead quiet and every time a squirrel rustled some leaves in the distance he'd snap his head towards it and study for maybe a minute...then something else would catch his attention and look in that direction...but I can't believe an animal that large can keep its overall body so motionless for so long.

It was dark shortly after he walked off and I geared up and quietly slipped out of there...interesting experience to sit there that long next to a wild buck and go completely unnoticed...

"12 minutes by my watch!

He stood there looking intently off in the distance...the woods were dead quiet and every time a squirrel rustled some leaves in the distance he'd snap his head towards it and study for maybe a minute...then something else would catch his attention and look in that direction...but I can't believe an animal that large can keep its overall body so motionless for so long.

interesting experience to sit there that long next to a wild buck and go completely unnoticed..."[/quote]

And realize how difficult or near impossible it would be to sneak up on one. Your experience discription is exactly what the hunt is all about for me!

Good Luck

Rusty

roundball said:
...interesting experience to sit there that long next to a wild buck and go completely unnoticed...

That's what it's all about! :thumbsup: I'd call that a successful hunt. :hatsoff:

One time I had a small 6 pointer actually stick his head INTO a blind I was in. I closed my eyes down to little slits and tried not to breath any more than I had to. Figgered he'd hear my heartbeat... Only lasted maybe half a minute. Then he jumped away. But he came back for another look. Not as close. Then walked away calmly.

He knew somehting wasn't right...he didn't know what but he didn't feel comfortable with it so he bailed out...and that's how 6 pointers get to become 8 pointers
:grin:

Back