• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round ball barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have the phone # of the T/C store?
I need a round ball barrel!
I'm sick and tired of waiting for GM to get their act together.
Thanks for any help

Bob

Talked to them last week...They said 4 to 6 weeks on a RB barrel for my Renegade. $189.99-ish

T/C is cheaper too

Website is not up yet but TC's custom shop , fox ridge is back in business:

1-800-243-4570 :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Wattsy said:
Talked to them last week...They said 4 to 6 weeks on a RB barrel for my Renegade. $189.99-ish

T/C is cheaper too

MUCH nicer bluing/finish on the barrels too

I concur with the Mad Professor. Just finished the third day of testing a 54 cal 1/66 Renegade barrel from the Thompson Center. It is more accurate than the Green Mountain ones I have used in the past. The finish is definitely superior.

Jim

Billy...

TC and GM Round Ball barrels have been using the same sights for quite a few years now.

Are both of the barrels you're referring to Round Ball barrels?

If so, is one a good bit older than the other?

My 1-66 54 TC barrel was a NOS I purchased from a member here (thank you Sir :hatsoff: ).

The sights are the same as one of my older GM barrels.

Both barrels are shooters but the TC is just nicer.

Too bad they do not make a slow twist 58/62

brpc said:
The finish is definitely superior.
No question, T/C's fit and finish is 1st rate.
I have a number of T/C barrels, plus several GM drop-in barrels...I've always been very pleased with the functionality of GM barrels, but fit and finish are only fair...breechplug flats not ground down to match the barrel flats, bluing is such a light wash that in only a couple range trips the pan flash starts buring of the bluing...and they are 20% more expensive than T/Cs...$232 vs. $195

T/C RB barrels +1000 in my book fit & finish perfect, & yes they are shooters.

Idaho PRB said:
Mad Professor said:
.......too bad they do not make a slow twist 58/62

So true! I wonder what it would take to make that happen?
A massive resurgence of interest in traditional sidelock muzzleloading...that would rekindle enough sales activity to make our teeny-tiny market segment become a possible profit target again...and there is nothing on the horizon the next several years that would even hint of such a trend on that scale.

Remember, GM was already making the rifled .58cal and the .62cal smoothbore...and even they have now discontinued their .62cal smoothbore line.

It most likely will never happen. I called Fox Ridge the other day for a catalogue. After giving the woman on the phone my personal information, I began to ask questions about the various roundball barrels and hawken kits available. I then made an offhand remark about looking forward to seeing them in the catalogue when she replied that the traditional items were not in the book I had coming, but are still available. She said the catalogue contained Encore and other unspeakable items. I guess my biggest disappointment is that by doing this, they are not going to any lengths to promote the traditional aspect of muzzleloading. For crying out loud it is not as if I am screaming for them to spend millions of dollars on a national advertising campaign for traditional muzzleloading, because I am realistic enough to know that will never happen.

No one is a 1-48 twist the other is green mountain 1-70 twist.The sites seem to be cheaper than the T/C sites. Wider opening in the back site. My T/C back site is a little smaller and the front bead sets in it better. I ended up buy peep from T/C and it is on the gun now. But now in low light it is hard for ME to see the front site. I guess I will just have to get to the range and shoot more and see what works best for me. :wink:

OK, the 1:48" TC probably has that low profile, wide-view rear sight...better for hunting, particularly with moving targets. And I agree, peeps are almost worthless for hunting...if they were great everybody would be using them :grin:

The round ball barrels, both TC and GM, use the same adjustable rear sight...and they are different from the TC wide-view rear sight on TC's standard 1:48" barrel...the sights on the round ball barrel are more of a target sight allowing for more precise aiming, etc.

Its funny how different people are...I like the round ball barrel sights so much that I changed out the wide-view rear sight on a 1:48" TC barrel

I ran to the phone after reading this and just ordered my T/C .54 Renegade roundball barrel. They told me four to six weeks as well. I can hardly wait.

Roundball, do you have a choice of barrel lengths in the 1-66 twist or does it only come in 28 inch?

Latest posts

Back