• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball or slug lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Olá amigos.

Aqui todo mundo atira com bola redonda.
No entanto, ouvi dizer que esse tipo de projeto (foto abaixo) tem sido mais preciso no furo liso do que na bola redonda. Por que aqui não vejo ninguém usando?
Screenshot_20230206-221317345~2.png

Sorry friends, I don't speak English, I used the translator to post, but there was an error.

The question above is this:
Hello friends.

Here everyone shoots with a round ball.
However, I've heard that this type of projectile (pictured above) has been more accurate in the smooth bore than a round ball. Why don't I see anyone here using lyman?

With nothing for size reference in the picture,,,, those look like airgun pellets.
Or, shotgun slugs meant to be loaded into shotgun cartridges.

Where does the picture come from?

12ga
Captura de tela_20230208-215107041~2.png

using them, some friends say they guarantee accuracy at 100 meters greater than round balls. but in shotguns.
I think muzzleloaders would do a good job too.

Last edited:
Horrific leading would be a concern as those don't have lube grooves and a very deep and soft skirt. I've shot that style of slug out of big bore unmentionables (cough air rifles cough) with lubes that aren't suitable for BP firearms. They come with challenges that probably won't make them ideal if even useable for a BP rifle. If they are spun too fast and or pushed to too high of a velocity they destabilize in flight causing super poor accuracy. With how the skirts are made on those I don't think I'd even try them in a smooth bore as they would lead all the way out of the barrel.

One caveat might be that the ones intended for scatterguns may have a solid skirt but all the issues with them would be the same.

Last edited:
They look like the projectiles loaded into Winchester BRI shells. Those are loaded with sabots. I do recall the Lyman projectiles that look like this. They don't do well in smoothbore guns, but do better with rifled shotgun barrels and rifled chokes that they were designed to be used with. Never intended for muzzleloaders so far as I am aware.

The original post looked sorta like Spanish... which I am not fluent in... but a bit different. Portuguese?

A postagem original parecia um pouco com o espanhol ... no qual não sou fluente ... mas um pouco diferente. Português?

...The original post looked sorta like Spanish... which I am not fluent in... but a bit different. Portuguese?

A postagem original parecia um pouco com o espanhol ... no qual não sou fluente ... mas um pouco diferente. Português?
Given the o.p. said "here in Brazil," in one reply,,, I'm betting you're correct.

Horrific leading would be a concern as those don't have lube grooves and a very deep and soft skirt. I've shot that style of slug out of big bore unmentionables (cough air rifles cough) with lubes that aren't suitable for BP firearms. They come with challenges that probably won't make them ideal if even useable for a BP rifle. If they are spun too fast and or pushed to too high of a velocity they destabilize in flight causing super poor accuracy. With how the skirts are made on those I don't think I'd even try them in a smooth bore as they would lead all the way out of the barrel.

One caveat might be that the ones intended for scatterguns may have a solid skirt but all the issues with them would be the same.
By the pictures provided, it looks like the projectiles are encapsulated within the plastic wads. The projectiles will never contact the bore. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Sorry friends, I don't speak English, I used the translator to post, but there was an error.

The question above is this:
Hello friends.

Here everyone shoots with a round ball.
However, I've heard that this type of projectile (pictured above) has been more accurate in the smooth bore than a round ball. Why don't I see anyone here using lyman?

Não há necessidade de se desculpar por não falar inglês. Dificilmente alguém aqui fala ou entende português. Esta é a minha melhor tentativa com um tradutor online.

I have found that projectiles similar to the ones in your photograph are NOT very accurate in either smoothbore or rifled bores when compared to patch roundballs. This does not mean they will not work in your gun. That is something you will have to try for yourself if you have access in Brazil to this type of projectile or molds to make them yourself. Apologize for not having more information.

By the pictures provided, it looks like the projectiles are encapsulated within the plastic wads. The projectiles will never contact the bore. Correct me if I'm wrong!
This is true,,,, in cartridge guns. I'm pretty sure folks would be planing to use these bare in a muzzleloader. Which I would think will mean they will be too small.

By my best guess, the slugs pictured here, would be in the neighborhood of .700 / inch, much
too big for anything I have. But that design in a 50 or 54 caliber, I wouldn't be opposed to trying.
I would just give them a good coating of liquid alox, and have at it. I would think they would perform similar to a R.E.A.L., or some of the other mini type projectiles.

True. My response was under the presumption that the slug would be used without the sabot.

Also the OP's original post is showing they typ used in air rifles. Those are available in sizes that will fit a BP arm. With the skirt on those being designed for air rifles dumping up to 4k psi I would in no way shape or form try them in a BP gun generating several times those pressures. The shotgun ones with a solid base maybe but knowing how finicky those are I'd only try them if that's all I could get.

Last edited:
Eles se parecem com os projéteis carregados nos projéteis Winchester BRI. Esses são carregados com sabots. Eu me lembro dos projéteis de Lyman que se parecem com isso. Eles não se saem bem em armas de cano liso, mas se saem melhor com canos de espingarda e espingardas e estrangulamentos com os quais foram projetados para serem usados. Nunca destinado a muzzleloaders, tanto quanto sei.

Yes!! Português !

Projéteis como esse não foram usados nas armas dos séculos 17 a 19, e a maioria de nós aqui prefere usar a tecnologia dos velhos tempos.
Eu uso esse tipo em minha espingarda moderna e meu rifle de ar, mas em uma arma histórica de cano liso, uma bola redonda com um chumaço ou remendo funciona muito bem.
Peço desculpas pela tradução- não falo português.
Jay

I would really like to test it, but in a muzzleloaders I would have to have a mold manufactured, which is expensive just for a test, do you agree?
That's why I sought your experience.
the hollow base reminded me of the bullet minie, even in a smooth barrel it would help to seal the gases.
As in shotgun shells they are more accurate than the ball, I imagined that the same would be repeated in muzzleloaders.

I would really like to test it, but in a muzzleloaders I would have to have a mold manufactured, which is expensive just for a test, do you agree?
That's why I sought your experience.
the hollow base reminded me of the bullet minie, even in a smooth barrel it would help to seal the gases.
As in shotgun shells they are more accurate than the ball, I imagined that the same would be repeated in muzzleloaders.
Não parece funcionar melhor em um carregador de focinho de furo liso. Eu tenho um bom sucesso com balas Minie em meus rifles de pólvora preta; Eu acho que eles precisam da reviravolta para realmente estabilizá-los. Suspeito que, com uma espingarda moderna, o wad no projétil faz a diferença.
Jay

Projéteis como esse não foram usados nas armas dos séculos 17 a 19, e a maioria de nós aqui prefere usar a tecnologia dos velhos tempos.
Eu uso esse tipo em minha espingarda moderna e meu rifle de ar, mas em uma arma histórica de cano liso, uma bola redonda com um chumaço ou remendo funciona muito bem.
Peço desculpas pela tradução- não falo português.
Jay
if the English x Portuguese translator is as good as the Portuguese x English translator, I am unconcerned about understanding.

yes...I noticed that the historical question has the greatest relevance.
but as a smooth barrel has impaired accuracy, perhaps a better solution at hunting time would be welcome.

if the English x Portuguese translator is as good as the Portuguese x English translator, I am unconcerned about understanding.

yes...I noticed that the historical question has the greatest relevance.
but as a smooth barrel has impaired accuracy, perhaps a better solution at hunting time would be welcome.
É por isso que eu costumo caçar com um rifle de pólvora preta, embora na minha floresta, as distâncias em que atirei em veados sejam na maioria das vezes de 20 a 30 metros. Se eu me lembrar, vou postar notas enquanto desenvolvo uma bola redonda lo!
Jay

@Sandro_Ventania, during the American Civil War, a sort of similar bullet (the Nessler bullet) was developed for the smoothbored muskets to be used instead of round ball. The theory was that the skirted bullet would be faster to load than the round ball and being a bullet, it would have better performance. In practice, the Nessler bullet did not have the accuracy of a round ball (which isn't great anyway) and was soon discontinued.

In other words, don't expect much of an accuracy improvement when shooting such bullets as you pictured in your original post.

Back