• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I just got .60 caliber round balls for my new Sea Service Pistol. They are different than the .49 caliber I bought for my Traditions Kentucky Flintlock. The one's I had for my first muzzleloader were entirely round. The new one's I got have a flattened out surface that rises slightly above the rest of the ball. These are only the second round balls I have ever purchased, so I don't know if I'm suppose to load them with the flat section facing towards the powder or away from it, or if it matters.

Thanks

Flat section AWAY from the powder. Only because this is the easiest way to load them consistantly. If you face it towards the powder you won't be able to see it to be sure it's centered. In all practicality, it doesn't make much difference.

Sprue, or flat side up. This way you can be sure it is centered so it doesn't hang up on the barrel while trying to load it.

The "flat spot" (spure) is the result of hand cast round balls, larger sized balls are not swaged like the smaller ones (.58 and under) so you see the flat spot on them...

Cause: When the round ball mold is filled with molten lead and cooled, the spure cutter shaves off the excess lead before the mold is opened...

This "shaved" area is what makes the flat spot, no big deal, round balls have had them on almost as long as there have been round balls...

You can plainly see the flat spots in this picture of assorted cast round balls...
Col03%20ECWS%2013%20MC%20large%20LoRes.jpg

Back