• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round groove barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Gregory

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone currently make a barrel with round cut grooves. I hear some of the original longrifles had round cut grooves instead of square and that they are/were easier to clean and load.

Check out Jim Chambers for Rice Barrels radius cut. The Getz and Colerain Barrels are Radius cut.. They are the big winners in Compt. Shooting. :thumbsup:

Ed Rayl and Charles Burton offer round bottom rifling too. :thumbsup:

My .54 has a Getz barrel with round bottom grooves. It really shoots clean. Getz talked me into a 1 in 55 twist. It shoots round ball well.

Many Klatch

My colerain swamped .50 C-weight has round bottom rifling, I think it is referred to "button rifling".Its a good shooter, but if you have the time and money go with a Getz!

I have three rifle guns with round bottomed rifling, two Colerain and one Rice. They shoot as
well as square bottomed rifling and are much easier to clean!
:thumbsup:

Botton rifling is a way of cutting the rifling. Buttom rifling is done with a cutter(called a button) that is pushed through the bore and cuts all of the rifling in one pass. It is much shallower rifling then thc cut rifling that is done with round groove rifling or other custom barrels. Many of the factory guns are button rifled. Such as T/C, Lyman, Tradions, etc. Production reasons makes the speed of rifling this way.

Dave K., Not really trying to correct you, Ol' Hoss, but button rifling is swaged or squeezed into the bore instead of being cut. That's one reason why button rifled barrels generally have shallower grooves than a good cut rifled barrel. And, for sure, we don't want no buttom rifled barrels for good shooting with patched round balls.

U R correct Le Grand, button rifling is swaged into the barrel with a tungsten tool or button. Straight out swaging .10-.13 depth would require a tremendous amount of additional force so true button rifled barrels are .008" or less.

I had never heard of Rice barrels before getting on this site so looked them up. They cut rifle their barrels AND THEN swage them with a button to smooth the rifling and groves. Sounds like a real good barrel process to me.
TC

Your right. My terminolgy was incorrect. That is what I was trying to say by it being pushed in one pass and shallower than cut rifing.

Obviously I left out some 0s :shake: . buttoned rifling is usually no more than .008" deep. Other numbers require similar adjustment.

Mea Culpa,
TC

i own a Colerain 40 cal A weight with radius groove rifling. way cool... load easy, cleans easy, shoots straight...

if you have the money, radius groove is the way to go (just one guy's opinion).

Getz comes to mind..but then I only live 30 miles from him. I have 2 guns I bought from himone is round and 1 is square cut. Don't really see much difference in them as far as cleaning goes. Round cut only cost me 5 bucks more at the time I bought them. SSettle

MSW said:
i own a Colerain 40 cal A weight with radius groove rifling. way cool... load easy, cleans easy, shoots straight...

if you have the money, radius groove is the way to go (just one guy's opinion).

Sounds like a sweetheart- "A" weights are just plain nice.

Back