• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have now shot 6 pa whitetails with a 54ca percussion gun. a dixie kit with .535 cast ball, 100 grs 2f goex, .010 patch, olive oil lube cut at the muzzle. 20yds to 50 yds. all one shot, all fell within feet or a few yards of impact. i think the round ball smashes its way thru. the last one had 2 1/2 inch holes thru both lungs and the exit hole was about the same. none of the balls were recovered. within its limits the roundball is a killer. irishtoo

the old fashion roundball is an amazing thing.Im the only guy in my neck of the woods that hunts with flint or percussion an everyone laughes when they see what I shoot an they still laugh when there is a dead buck in the back of the truck shot with a roundball. I mean how dead are you supposed to kill them :idunno:

irishtoo said:
i have now shot 6 pa whitetails with a 54ca percussion gun. a dixie kit with .535 cast ball, 100 grs 2f goex, .010 patch, olive oil lube cut at the muzzle. 20yds to 50 yds. all one shot, all fell within feet or a few yards of impact. i think the round ball smashes its way thru. the last one had 2 1/2 inch holes thru both lungs and the exit hole was about the same. none of the balls were recovered. within its limits the roundball is a killer. irishtoo

Agreed.....but what you described is no where near the limits of that roundball load.
I just shot a doe yesterday with a .530 ball & only 80 grains of 2f goex. The ball entered thru the back edge of the left shoulder & exited a little further back on the right side. When I paced off the shot, it was 115 stretched out paces. I figure that's a good 100 yards....maybe a little more. Those round balls are more capable than most people think.

Yes, and even in the manufacturer's liability conscious world, T/C's own published PRB load data for the .54cal is 60-120grns Goex 2F...by that, 80grns is only 1/3rd of the way up the scale, and 100grns is only 2/3rds

I may be the exception here, but I've never shot anything but round balls in my flint locks. Never experimented with anything else. Over the (many) years I've shot one heck of a lot of squirrels and other small game and what adds up to a small herd of deer. Never lost any (missed a few though) that I know of. Never saw much need for any other shaped projectile. Just my 2 cents

Vern

roundball said:
Yes, and even in the manufacturer's liability conscious world, T/C's own published PRB load data for the .54cal is 60-120grns Goex 2F...by that, 80grns is only 1/3rd of the way up the scale, and 100grns is only 2/3rds

Obviously 1/3rd up the scale is more than enough.

Max loads in a gun always seemed out of whack to me anyway. I think max load should be when it starts to lose accuracy.

I was making a reply to Bald Mtn Man about load data...so what's your point in making these comments to me? What you choose to use is your business and of no interest to me, and I'll use what I choose to use, as I assume we all do.

Ya mean ya don't need them fancy modern comical boolits ta kill Deer at 75 yds with a .50+? Well I'll be dipped in beeswax and olive oil! BB's thats what I heard them called... Bozo Boolits :rotf: I guess I need to try some of them round balls next time out :idunno:

Capper said:
roundball said:

Obviously 1/3rd up the scale is more than enough.

Max loads in a gun always seemed out of whack to me anyway. I think max load should be when it starts to lose accuracy.
Every gun is differant and will tell you what it likes but it's been my finding that the ones I ever shot and continue to, tend to like you giving them the gas or in this case the powder. I find in my .54's and .58 none like 80gr to well and groups tighten up at 90gr and only get better the more powder I give em.

roundball said:
I was making a reply to Bald Mtn Man about load data...so what's your point in making these comments to me? What you choose to use is your business and of no interest to me, and I'll use what I choose to use, as I assume we all do.

I know who you were talking to, and I was talking to you.
You made it seem like 80gr was a weak load, because of what the manufacturer suggested. The same one suggest 150gr as max on an inline. Now they're discovering it doesn't work that well, because of accuracy. I think the same thing apply's to PRB loads.
So, to sum it up. You gave load data, and I didn't agree with it. If you did or didn't agree with it. You should have said so.

Open forum. We all agree and disagree with each other.

That was the point of my post.

Latest posts

Back