• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roy's Rifle-page 3

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyWhiskers

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to hunt with Roy's traveling rifle, "Runaround Sue" on page 3 of her journey. I hunted wild pigs on the Merced River, near my home. On day 3 of hunting with my buddy, Scott (Buripity) we walked up on a large sow.

While she was busy rooting about 35 yards away, I took my shot. It was the first time I fired Sue. The rains and wind had kept me from spending any range time with the rifle.

When the smoke cleared, the pig was gone. I felt real good about the shot so I decided to reload and let her lay down. Guess I was a bit nervous cause I forgot where my thumb is supposed to go when cutting the patch. Now I had two blood trails to follow. :hmm:

At the spot where she was standing was a branch with a bullet hole in it. I was pretty certain that it wasn't in front of the pig when I shot. Later, Scott found her laying in some thick stuff, only 10 yards away. The .62 cal ball had split in half, taking out her heart and half of it exiting to hit the branch. The other half was found stuck to the rib cage on the opposite side.

Roy built a beauty of a rifle but she's made to hunt with. She's a pleasure to shoot. GW

RunaroundSue8.jpg

Good goin' GW! :hatsoff:

Them hog ribs must be purty stout to stop HALF of a ball like that. :shocked2:

BillinOregon said:
I sure hope there's a traveling journal that goes with Sue -- and that it will be posted when Sue finally goes home.

There's no paper journal that travels with her but there will be an online journal with stories and pics soon.
Swampy will let us know when it goes online. :thumbsup:

BillinOregon said:
I sure hope there's a traveling journal that goes with Sue -- and that it will be posted when Sue finally goes home.

It will be posted but don't hold your breath.. You would think being able to use a gun like that and being lucky enough to bag game would be enough for anyone to make sure they got pic's and the story to Roy but I guess one or two along the way are bound to be delinquent in doing that. I can't post them if I ain't got the storys...

BillinOregon said:
I thought about having other things travel with the gun, but it just becomes more and more to keep up with. I would hate to lose the journal along the way.. figured the best way is to keep up the stories and pics on the web and compile them when she is finished taveling. :v

Still waiting for the first story, I now have some great pics of the first hunt. :thumbsup:

You know what I would do if it were me, buy a nice leather bound Journal and once the gun was all done with the hunts and you have all the info, I would get someone with who can write in nice flowing writing. Maybe even have them use an ink well and quill?? :hmm: I would have all the hunts written down this way in the Journal then. I would think it would be an excellant companion to the rifle.

Take good care of that thumb you might need it for your next hunt. :cursing:
Crats. :thumbsup:
Dusty :wink:

Back