• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RPL lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustydean

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I finished fitting an RPL lock in my GPR flinter yesterday.
It took a little inletting, but for the most part, the project went quite smooth. I was concerned with the vent hole position, it was at the right height, but the hole center was back about an 1/8 of an inch from the center of the pan. I took it to the range to try it out any way.
I shot 20 rounds without a hitch, it worked great. The lock time is as good as my percussion units. At this point,I'm not going to move the vent hole. I'm VERY happy with this lock.
The question is, is there a correct position for the vent hole ?

Well, there are supposed correct positions, but if it works good where it is, i would say that it is correct now, so why mess with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agreed, if it works it doesn't need any more attention. Precise placement of vent holes is not as critical as some would have you believe, as long as your iggnition is reliable and fast. Vent size has more to do with reliability than exact proper placement.

I've seen them drilled 1/8" off by accident many times and no problems occurred. Biggist location problem I've seen is too low in the pan. That will slow things down.

If I was paying big money, or doing it for someone that was, I'd want it placed exactly. "Perfect" is what works 100% of the time!

:results:

I've got a southern mtn rifle that has the touch hole slightly off center also. I can't tell a bit of difference in the lock time. It goes off like a caplock alot of the time. I did enlarge the pan a bit and it is less noticable now. It even went off without a priming charge once! :relax:

I inletted an RPL replacement lock to a GPR last spring and had the exact same problem. As long as I did my part and kept the flints sharp and the vent hole clean -- I had few problems.

:m2c:

God Bless

Back