• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ruger old army 50 conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Wilkinson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone else seen the 50 cal conversion on a Ruger Old Army? I looked at it once on line,a fella at work told me about it and I was wonderin' if anyone else has seen it..I think one of these would be awsome!!!

BigIron and Clements both do the conversion, costly and the cylinder is a five-shooter. Posts have put been put up about, they shoot RB's evidently. Gotta spend your bucks on something I guess.

And what a great way to spend them! I'm seriously considering one myself, though I'm holding off until I see more information about their .58 caliber conversions. That's a lot of horsepower, and the gun they build it on starts off a bit cheaper too, though I have no idea what the conversion itself costs.

timbo said:
Anyone else seen the 50 cal conversion on a Ruger Old Army? I looked at it once on line,a fella at work told me about it and I was wonderin' if anyone else has seen it..I think one of these would be awsome!!!

I just got the Clement's conversion:

IMG_5012.jpg

IMG_5013.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5020.jpg

It is... awsome. I have only had the opportunity to put 3 cylinders through it, none at a target and none over a chrony, but MAN is it cool to punch out 5 177RBs over 50gr 3F... and the balls were hitting in the six-inch(ish) bald spot on the berm I was shooting at from 25yds.

However - the gun is so tight that if you DO use real BP, it starts to gum up by the 3rd cylinder... not like you can reload in a hurry if you need it anyway. But pull the cylinder & swish the thing out in a bucket of water and you're good to go.

I saved for a good while to get this. The conversion runs about $1000 after shipping etc.

Gun season opens the 18th, so I may ormay not get some good range/target time in before the New Year.

Gunblast article[url] http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_ClementsFugett.htm[/url]

fiveshooter4.jpg

fiveshooter10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
mec said:
Gunblast article[url] http://www.gunblast.com/Cumpston_ClementsFugett.htm[/quote][/url]

You know, I somehow managed to buy mine without reading that particular aticle. Strange, since I frequent that site and have even bought "pre-tested" guns from Jeff Quinn...

Last edited by a moderator:
Last I heard, the head honcho at Big Iron was getting over pneumonia and wasn't taking in any new work until he could get caught up again. You might try posting on their forums for info. A lot of folks check in there daily and the Big Iron people are always around too.

Latest posts

Back