• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ruger old army question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gman10

32 Cal.
Reaction score
can I ship a Ruger Old army revolver directly directly to someone's house? or does it need to go to an ffl dealer? is there any restrictions on some states doing this and what are those states? thanks

For the states that allow for direct shipping - yes you can ship to an individual BUT there are some states that you HAVE to send to an FFL dealer such as New Jersey -- there are other states like this YOU have to do your homework and find out if the state you want to send it off to is one of them - don't take anyone's word for this YOU are the one that has to be responsible as you will be the one to go to jail and be Joe-Bob's girl friend :grin:

Zug is right. I didnt think about some of the crazy states :shake: . I dont consider them an other states that are that scared of guns being part of the US anyway. Here in Bama you can still have a old army shipped to you an nobody panics

Some of the black powder pistols, are held to a different standard. I believe this is due to the fact that they can be fitted with cylinders that accept cartridge rounds. That's another reason, that it would be wise to look into the regulations. I know you can ship a firearm back to the manufacturer, and they can ship it back to you. But, shipping it person to person, would be a question, that should be looked into, before trying it.

"Some of the black powder pistols, are held to a different standard. I believe this is due to the fact that they can be fitted with cylinders that accept cartridge rounds."

Not so, you can even ship the conversion in the same box as the gun as long as it is not installed. The conversion cylinder is considered a part and the gun only becomes a firearm when it is modified by having a loading notch cut in the recoil shield.

Thanks for clearing that up. I remember now, the gun can not be modified, for the loading gate, when using a conversion cylinder.

In pa it is illegal for a convicted felon to have any firearm, cartridge or muzzleloader. If you knowingly ship a firearm, a
Even a ruger old army or flintlock,then you have committed a crime under pa law.

To sum up everything, that's been said, always check to see what the regulations are before mailing a firearm, because laws differ from state to state, or maybe from locality.

hadden west said:
To sum up everything, that's been said, always check to see what the regulations are before mailing a firearm, because laws differ from state to state, or maybe from locality.

FWIW:

It's legal, under Federal Law, for a private party/US citizen, to send a muzzleloader directly to someone in another state, unless the sender/seller has reason to believe that the recipient is not allowed to possess ANY firearm, muzzleloader or not.

It is the responsibility of the BUYER (recipient) to conform to the laws of the state or municipality in which they reside, and not the responsibility of the seller/sender.

There is no way that authorities in one state can prosecute a citizen in a different state for violating their state's law(s).

zimmerstutzen said:
In pa it is illegal for a convicted felon to have any firearm, cartridge or muzzleloader. If you knowingly ship a firearm, a
Even a ruger old army or flintlock,then you have committed a crime under pa law.

True. But really depends on the wording by the judge at sentencing. I know of one case where the convicted could not have anything that could fire a projectile. That even prevented him from having a pea shooter, bow and arrow, potato cannon, anything. In other cases, in some states, they are allow to keep a rifle or shotgun for hunting. That is an old concept that goes back to subsistence hunting and a man would not be denied the ability to feed his family. I know, inconsistent and highly debatable but is fact.

Back