• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel727

50 Cal.
Reaction score
If you want one better get it quick. Ruger discontinued them due to slow sales.

Where did you get that information from? Ruger still has O.A.'s available for order on their websight. I could not find a press release about this on at the Ruger sight either. It wouldn't surprize me if this was correct, just wondering where you go the information from.

He's right I read it another forum, the ROA was Bill's 'baby', he was a BP gun enthusiast and designed the ROA as his idea of a modern C&B revolver. He died out awhile back you know so maybe the company is cutting the model to put the production facilities into the rifles they make.(and shotguns)

J.R. said:
Where did you get that information from? Ruger still has O.A.'s available for order on their websight. I could not find a press release about this on at the Ruger sight either. It wouldn't surprize me if this was correct, just wondering where you go the information from.

you didn't look far enough.[url] http://www.ruger-firearms.com...work=Yes&imagefield.x=23&imagefield.y=10[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if I should get a spare? What is nice about the Rugers is that they are very strong. I am not sure how they compare to the imports in the durability catagory.

:redface: I see it now, I looked at that page but, didn't notice the suggested retail now says "discontinued". Sad, but like I said before, I am not surprized.

Well, I am surprised they actually discontinued them. I could see taking a year or so off of production though.

Maybe they have something new in the works, like the "Ruger New Army"?

Or maybe their lawyers where getting worried about the 45 Long Colt cylinders you can get for them with out filing a Form 4473? :shocked2:

The difference between the build of a Ruger Old Army and just about any import ever made is like comparing the Brooklyn Bridge with a Patagonian rope walk.

Have you actually SEEN one?

tac in Oregon

oldwolf said:
Well, I am surprised they actually discontinued them. I could see taking a year or so off of production though.

Maybe they have something new in the works, like the "Ruger New Army"?

Or maybe their lawyers where getting worried about the 45 Long Colt cylinders you can get for them with out filing a Form 4473? :shocked2:

One of the guys on the SASS Wire talked to somebody at Ruger and he says they're being discontinued because of slow sales. No plans to bring it back and no plans for a replacement. A ROA is basically a bp Blackhawk. Why go to the trouble of fitting a cartridge cylinder when you can get a Blackhawk cheaper?

You got that right. I think many people miss that little tidbit.

Myself, I see it as an outdoorsmans cap and ball. I know it isn't 100% historically correct but it will work when you need it to work.

Poor Private said:
Because if you buy a conversion cylinder you can fly under the radar with registration.

You can fly under the radar a lot cheaper by buying a used Blackhawk from an individual.

The Blackhawks are firearms per the the GCA of 1968, BP guns are not. BP guns are so far below the Radar they are in the dirt. :wink:

Geez, Am I glad I read the forum today. I was about to sell my Old Army. Maybe I should hold on to it.

I would. I passed a chance to buy a SS pre 75 NIB ROA a month ago for $475, now I wish I had bought it.

slowpokebr549 said:
Geez, Am I glad I read the forum today. I was about to sell my Old Army. Maybe I should hold on to it.

Actually, I would think this would be the perfect time to sell it. There will be a period of panic buying as people think they'll become scarce, and the prices for used ROA's should rise significantly. They won't stabilize for about 3 months, perhaps more. When they do, they'll certainly be lower than the panic buying.

Latest posts

Back