• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebby53

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody out there have any info on Ruger Blackpowder revolvers.

I have a Ruger Old Army (printed on the left side of the frame, just below the cylinder), "Sturum Ruger & Co. Inc., Southport Conn. U.S.A." imprinted along the top of the barrel. Serial number 145-30593. Wooden grips w/ruger logo. .44 Cal, adjustable rear sight. Frame is stainless. "For Black Powder Only" imprinted twice on the cylinder. I've had it awhile. Never fired it, but know it has been in the past.

Have never seen before or since a Ruger BP revolver. Any info would be welcome.
confused.gif

The Ruger "Old Army" Revolver was made in both blued and stainless versions.

It sports a 7 1/2 inch barrel and uses a .457 round ball (143 grain) or a .454 - .457 (185 grain) pistol bullet.

The .457 diameter round ball is a must, do not use a smaller diameter.

Round ball loads (no patch needed) range from 30.0 to 41.0 grains of FFFg black powder.
41.0 grains yeilds 1036 fps velocity with a muzzle energy of 340 Ft/lbs.

Lyman bullet #45468 is loaded from 25.0 grains to 33.0 grains of FFFg black powder, 33 grains gives 780 fps velocity and 256 Ft/lbs. energy.

Uses #11 percussion caps with the revolver and cover the tops of the loaded chambers with a bullet lube to prevent chain-firering.

The Old Army is a riot to shoot and own, my brother has the stainless version.

TIP: an old tooth brush goes a long way in cleaning all the nooks and notches on the revolver.

The specifications of Ruger's Old Army .45 revolver are as follows.

Type: muzzleloading, cap and ball, six-shot revolver
Caliber: .45 BP
Barrel: round, tapered (blue or stainless steel)
Barrel length: 5.5" or 7.5"
Number of grooves: 6
Twist: right; 1 turn in 16"
Bore diameter: 443"
Groove diameter: .451"
Proper ball or conical bullet diameter: .457"
Frame: blued carbon steel or stainless steel
Nipples: stainless steel for #11 percussion caps
Trigger guard/grip frame: blue or stainless steel
Grip: smooth, two-piece rosewood or simulated ivory
sights: fixed or fully adjustable rear
Overall length: 13 1/2" (with 7.5" barrel)
Weight: 2 7/8 pounds

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_old_army.htm
Enjoy...
smile.gif

Musketman

Thanks for the info, good stuff. Great website.

Would you know if this piece falls under the "Antique/Replica, Ignition source" definition?
That is, outside of the "firearm definition". Not needing any ATF Forms for purchase when new. I guess I'm not really sure about any BP "Handgun". Can they be shipped out of State without using a licensed dealer. Any good sources for this kind of info would be helpful. I've checked the ATF website, read all the info, but still not sure. I'm moving to Alaska from Florida and really do not want to try shipping them on an airline in this day and age.

Musketman,
Ok, Thanks for the info. Been a great help. This forum is the best.
smile.gif

To the best of my knowledge The Old Army does not require any ATF forms to buy or sell. It falls under the Federal antique catagory even though it is a new design. (This same catagory covers the In Line guns which are of course also new designs).
The place a person can get into trouble is if you ship it to them and they live in a nice safe place like New York City where they have laws preventing people from owning (or having) ANY handgun.
The B/P revolvers I have ordered in the past were delivered by UPS so I'm sure they will deliver it for you unless you move to a parinoid place like New York City.

You may be able to ship it if you take it apart and ship it in 867 sepperate boxes...
rolleyes.gif

I would think you could UPS it there, do not ship it and the black powder in the same box, people will frown apon it.

I know you can't drive it there, Canada would not allow this.

The gun is classified as a modern black powder revolver, Kind of a cross between a Ruger Blackhawk and a Remington black powder revolver.

If you know where you are going to in Alaska, have your local gun shop (in Florida) mail it for you, or at least the gun shop can help you with the laws about inter-state shipping.

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
To the best of my knowledge The Old Army does not require any ATF forms to buy or sell. That's correct. The only muzzleloading arms that require a dealer are in-line weapons, as far as I know.

If anyone knows this to not be true, please let us know.

Ok, guys, here is a section of Alaskan Law. Check out (1) (C). It talks to a single function of the trigger. Do you think it's referring to single action vs. double action. A revolver, as you know, can shoot a second shot without manualy reloading. I just don't know. Opinions please.
confused.gif

h) As used in this section,

(1) "prohibited weapon" means any

(A) explosive, incendiary, or noxious gas

(i) mine or device that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious physical injury or death;

(ii) rocket, other than an emergency flare, having a propellant charge of more than four ounces;

(iii) bomb; or

(iv) grenade;

(B) device designed, made, or adapted to muffle the report of a firearm;

(C) firearm that is capable of shooting more than one shot automatically, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger; or

(D) rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches, shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, or firearm made from a rifle or shotgun which, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches;

Subsection C is referring to automatic weapons. A single function of the trigger is pulling the trigger once and the weapon fires more than one round with the trigger depressed once. This was put in a while back when the adapters were built that could be attached to semis that allowed them to fire a burst of fire. They want pull the trigger, one round, pull the trigger again, one round. Take care, Rick.

Yup. At's a talkin 'bout 'em guns like ol' Crazy Johnnie Browning 'vented up thar in Utah.
Ye pull the trigger 'n hold her 'n that thing just sits thar an keeps on a shootin! Ain't nothin anywhere around at thing at's safe.
I tol 'em whan they started a puttin the powder 'n ball 'n cap in 'em lil copper cans they's a gonna cause 'em Crazys ta com outter the woodwork 'n cause trouble fer us all!
grin.gif

I'll jus stik to ma front stuffer 'n stay safe.

The cap-and-ball revolver requires a single trigger pull for each chamber loaded, even though the cylinder has six chambers, it will require six seperate trigger pulls to completly empty the firearm...

So, Subsection "C" does not apply to you.

Tip #2: If you fire only a few shots and choose to reload the empty chambers, pull the percussion caps off of the loaded chambers first, once loaded, then you can recap.

Latest posts

Back