• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ruger old army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911nutjob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My apologies if this is the wrong section for this. I'll also add that I did try a search with less than a jackpot return. What's the general concensus here about using a ruger old army for taking smaller wild boar? I'm thinking 200 lbs. or less for better meat. Will a max load with goex or pyrodex using a round ball or conical get the job done? I would be using a guide on a large ranch with a backup rifle. Can I expect .41 magnum or .44 special performance, or do I really need to look at a cartridge gun? The only other gun in my collection adequate for boar would be my a5 humpback loaded with slugs, as I don't think .223 or 45acp will cut it. My dad has a 686, but I've been told that .357 would be marginal with boar. Unload guys.

You can forget .44 or .41 magnum performance in the ROA.

Well, this falls under the category of "I wouldn't do that, if I were you...,". Here's why.

An all lead .457 round ball is about 145 grains, and with 35 grains of 3Fg will give you about 1200 fps at the muzzle from the ROA (I checked a load chart for the ROA for this info). Not bad on a whitetail, but that's like a 90-130 lbs. out here. Even a really large buck at say 140-170 lbs. isn't as "dense" an animal as 200 lbs. of boar hog. I don't think the all lead will get it done, so you're talking say wheel weights, and 139 grains.

So if you go to a 200 grain conical, and 35 grains of 3Fg, that will give you a bit over 1000 fps, and a 250 grain conical will give you just under 900 fps with 30 grains of 3Fg.

I guess if you got right on top of the animal, you could get the job done, but I was taught that boar have denser bones, and so you would need a perfect shot, and to be right on top of the bugger..., and being right on top of a boar is not what I'd say is a good idea... backup guy with a rifle or not :shocked2:

Now the .357 with a 158 grain SJSP will give you like 1200 fps and 180 grains SJHP will give you 1100 fps. If you look at the bullet weights, and the velocities, you see they are in the same range as round ball and 200 grain loads for the Ruger. So if you have been told that a .357 would be "marginal", then you are looking at pretty much the same energy, though a larger hole, as the above mentioned .357 loads..., and the .357 is going to give you better penetration.

The 250 grain loads are going to give you .44 special/.45 Colt performance, not magnum performance. So if a .44 special would also be "marginal" then I think you are out of the realm of using the ROA.

You really need that 210-250 grain slug and about 1200 fps or faster, at least that' what I would be looking to have as a minimum in a rifle or handgun going for boar, and that's like .41 mag or .44 mag performance. I'd also be using wheel weight alloy if I was using my flintlock rifle, to ensure deep penetration.

LD

One of my hunting pards has used one for the last decade or so for deer with excellent results using conicals weighing, as I recall, around 200 grains. A max charge of 40 grains of 3f is cranking out almost exactly 1000 fps over his chrono. That's actually a little hotter than standard pressures for 44 special (900fps max with 200 grain jacketed according to the Hornady manual).

Haven't shot hogs with my 44 specials or 45 colts, but I have taken several dozen deer to a max of 60 yards with them over the years using standard vel loads of around 750fps with 250 grain bullets.

I wouldn't hesitate to use my own revolvers for pig within my own range limits, but I'll leave it to others who have ACTUALLY shot pig with 44 special or 45 colt to tell me if I'm nuts. Within your own range limits and the nature of the terrain to allow you to get that close, I'm betting you'll be just fine and dandy.

I owned an Old Army and would rate it with a .45 Colt. (Which is about 1/3 or less of a .44 Mag . . . which I also own). Excellent pistol.

If you don't trust the .45 ACP with a suitable jacketed soft-point bullet (also in line with a .45 Colt) for your needs then you shouldn't trust the .44 Old Army. But I'd say it was capable if you can close up to 40 yards.

I've killed 3 with my Confederate Navy.

2 were at point blank, so pretty much anything would have killed them. The third, and largest, was about 150-200lbs. Dropped her in her tracks as she ran across a small clearing in front of me. (If you ever do that, please remember to turn around and play it off like it's no big deal. Don't turn around and yell "Holy manure, I can't believe I made that shot" like I did. lol)

In all fairness, I got lucky and hit her a bit higher than I was looking and spined her. So it's not really a testament to the effectiveness on the conventional vitals. That said, it went through the meat and smashed the spinal column just as good as anything I've ever seen.

Supercracker said:
I've killed 3 with my Confederate Navy.

2 were at point blank, so pretty much anything would have killed them. The third, and largest, was about 150-200lbs. Dropped her in her tracks as she ran across a small clearing in front of me. (If you ever do that, please remember to turn around and play it off like it's no big deal. Don't turn around and yell "Holy manure, I can't believe I made that shot" like I did. lol)

In all fairness, I got lucky and hit her a bit higher than I was looking and spined her. So it's not really a testament to the effectiveness on the conventional vitals. That said, it went through the meat and smashed the spinal column just as good as anything I've ever seen.
Now that's impressive. I ask about the ROA because I've never owned one, and don't know much about its ballistic prowess. I just knew that it was capable of more power than the .44 replicas (other than the walker or dragoon, maybe). I want to hunt boar with a handgun, and thought percussion would add an interesting twist to the experience. The ROA was the only percussion revolver I could think of that might be up to the task. A google search yielded a few guys using a hard cast 190 grain conical for small boar. If need be, I would hunt from a stand for additional safety. I'm not at all worried about putting the shot where it counts, I just want some kind of reassurance that I would get a quick and humane kill. Some guys out there have been claiming .41 mag performance with 777, but I figure this is the best place to ask. I don't want to lay out cash for a magnum if I can do it with percussion and have an excuse to get another revolver to boot-my other option is a .460 rowland kit for one of my 1911s. Acp is great for two legged critters, but it wasn't designed for hunting.

1911nutjob said:
Acp is great for two legged critters, but it wasn't designed for hunting.

I can verify that. I shot several deer with the ACP using a variety of bullets, and none provided the quick kills some might expect, mostly due to the bullet shape and design required to feed. It was in fact little better than a 9mm Parabellum, which is not a good thing.

Neither here nor there and only cogent to this discussion when considering the bullet you choose. I'd go for one with a large flat nose or "meplat." Those kill out of all proportion to any other nose design on a conical.

I can't contribute any experience at shooting hogs with a ROA, but will point out that Ruger certifies it safe with as much FFFFg as it will hold, which is about 40 grains with a roundball. That is a right perky load, and is very accurate in the hands of a pistol shooter.

Spence

The .357Mag, .41Mag, .44Spl and .45Colt will all cleanly take average sized (~150lbs) hogs with the right bullet. Velocity is far less important than the bullet's design and construction. Forget roundball. I know nothing of using conicals in a percussion revolver but if you can get a good 250gr up around 800-900fps, it will do the job. A bullet soft enough to be loaded into a ROA will probably need to avoid heavy bones on the way in.

CraigC said:
The .357Mag, .41Mag, .44Spl and .45Colt will all cleanly take average sized (~150lbs) hogs with the right bullet. Velocity is far less important than the bullet's design and construction. Forget roundball. I know nothing of using conicals in a percussion revolver but if you can get a good 250gr up around 800-900fps, it will do the job. A bullet soft enough to be loaded into a ROA will probably need to avoid heavy bones on the way in.
Around 150 was the size I had in mind when I said less than 200 pounds. If I do this, I would find the hardest conical the loading lever can handle. I'd probably be looking at pyrodex p over goex to make that velocity goal?

1911nutjob said:
I'd probably be looking at pyrodex p over goex to make that velocity goal?

Pyrodex P has a burn rate very close to that of Goex 3f. You can use them more or less interchangeably velocity-wise, but in my experience the Pyro P develops a harder fouling in the chambers on repeated shooting. A "ring" of fouling develops right at the base of the ball/bullet, and pretty quick you're having trouble seating as deep as you want. Not an issue for hunting, but in my shooting it requires periodic chamber cleaning on long range sessions.

I'll leave it to others to talk about 4f, cuzz I haven't tried it as a main charge. It will certainly be a lot more "energetic" than Pyro P or Goex 3f.

I have read about the "ring" with triple 7, which is why I was leaning towards the P. I hadn't heard of the same issue with pyrodex, and got to know it well before I bothered switching to real black. I will gladly just use goex if it's capable of getting the job done. I might even plunk down the cash for swiss if you guys think it'll give me an advantage. I don't have the stones to try 4f as a main charge either! :shocked2:

I load my ROA with 41 Grains of Triple 777 3F wad over the powder and can keep all 5 shots inside a pie plate at 50 yards from the bench:I see no reason why it will stop a 200 lbs Pig if the shot is placed in the boiler room and I find no Crud Ring in the pistol

1911nutjob said:
I don't have the stones to try 4f as a main charge either! :shocked2:
It's OK, I did it a fair amount with nary a problem.

Spence

35 gr. Pyrodex P, 250 Gr. Lee REAL, grease overtop to minimize fouling. Very accurate but 6" above POA at 25 yds. with sight adjusted all the way down.

George said:
1911nutjob said:
I don't have the stones to try 4f as a main charge either! :shocked2:
It's OK, I did it a fair amount with nary a problem.

Spence
How accurate was that endeavor and what type of projectile did you use? I won a finish worn near patina blued Old Army on gb for 287.00, so it looks like I might be giving this a try. What's the trajectory path like with this gun at 7, 25, and 50 yards? With my .223 ebr for example, I know a 25 yard zero is also zero at 100 yards, coming in at about three inches high in between.

The ROA is set up for 75 yd POI at least that's what I was told held a little low at 50 yds will nock down steel chicken targets. Wish I had that Ruger

If I recall correctly, the Old Army also has a fairly well developed market for conversion systems to cartridge shooting. I suppose if you turn out to really like the gun, you could add a conversation set up for it and use it as both a muzzleloader and a conversion piece as you like.

Ray-Vigo said:
If I recall correctly, the Old Army also has a fairly well developed market for conversion systems to cartridge shooting. I suppose if you turn out to really like the gun, you could add a conversation set up for it and use it as both a muzzleloader and a conversion piece as you like.
Yeah, I checked out a few that are out there, but I'd like to keep a hunt percussion flavored. I had considered getting one, but I could've just bought a super redhawk magnum instead. Now that I've seen the POI the old army makes, I might've been able to use a dragoon just as easily. Thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

Back