• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rum horn construction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epiconyare

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am trying to make a rum horn and am having trouble fitting the end plugs :curse:!!! Any suggestions?

I haven't made one, but if I did, I'd shape the plug so the
sides were a little slopped, then I'd boil the horn until it was flexible enough for me to drive the plug in. Finally, I'd use beeswax to seal around the plug...this is what I do when I make powder horns, and they're water tight, so it should work for you...Best, Hank

Am also thinking to do this as a horn I have is just not right for a powder horn, solid too far down, have to cut off so much to even drill it would look bad. What do you use for a plug? Same wood, sealed as you would use for a Powder horn?
:huh:

I am heating it up with a heat gun and slowly heating it up, but as the horn cools it doesn't want to stay in shape.
Is there a way to trace a piece of wood and cut it to the shape of the horn? I have one side done - could air pressure cause it to warp?

I'd use the same kind of wood I'd use for a powder horn..I mostly use maple, if I can get it, otherwise, I use oak..I think that hard wood of any kind makes more sense than softwood..I'd seal it the same way as for a horn, too,except I'd make sure that the sealer wasn't soluble in alcohol.
I've got a couple of horns like you describe...I have one piece that I've saved for a nose cap, and then I think of all the work...and put it away...Hank

Fitting the plug can be daunting. The horn has an inside and outside bend and just tapering the plug won't often solve the problem. Boiling a thich horn doesn't always work either. Buffalo horn seems to expand and shrink a lot and is easier to work(IMO). Get the horn as thin as possible and spend plenty of time working the plug to get a tight fit. The secret is patience and time. Cow horn is plenty strong, you can scrap it thin enough to see through. If your are really stuck, forget the rum horn and make a salt horn- no problem with leaks.

I am heating it up with a heat gun and slowly heating it up, but as the horn cools it doesn't want to stay in shape.
Is there a way to trace a piece of wood and cut it to the shape of the horn? I have one side done - could air pressure cause it to warp?

If you have a lathe turn a tapered plug. then when the horn is hot insert the plug leave in for a while for the horn to take its shape (the plug) it should hold then, remove the tapered and insert the plug you going to use

Back