• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust removing & refurbishing a lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrat

40 Cal
Reaction score
There are many threads on assembly & disassembly but I can not find info on refurbishing. I just bought an older used pedisoli flintlock, to be delivered soon, and would like to know how to rejuvenate it. Small rust and outer spring looks worn out. Hopefully parts will be available & where to order from. The body has a blueish tint to it so I believe this means its fire blued. If I sand on it will I loose the color and is it OK to fire blue it again. Any help or direction to videos would be appreciated.....Labrat

It’s not likely fire blued. It may be color case hardened or niter blued. Most attempts to clean up with abrasives or chemicals will remove the color. A very soft wire wheel mounted in a drill press will often clean things nicely enough and leave most of the finish intact. The wire must be very small diameter.

It’s not likely fire blued. It may be color case hardened or niter blued. Most attempts to clean up with abrasives or chemicals will remove the color. A very soft wire wheel mounted in a drill press will often clean things nicely enough and leave most of the finish intact. The wire must be very small diameter.

If you sand the metal you will remove the bluing. But if it's that rusty, you may want to do it anyway. But, what I have used in the past on some very, very rusty blued firearm metals is Kroil Oil. Soak it down with Kroil and let it sit for 24 hours. Put a few coats on it and make sure they are "heavy" coats.

In 24 hours wipe down the steel with a cotton towel and then see what you have. I've cleaned up some Winchester Lever rifles with Kroil that when I started out, I thought I'd have to refinish them. Now, you can see the old rust pits when the light is right.....but they shoot just fine and I'm happy with the looks.

I have had success with "Big Frontier Metal Cleaner" pads to remove rust without ruining blued finishes. They work similar to bronze wool, but I think do a better job. Use them with some Kroil.

Rifle came in and I immediately soaked the lock and duel trigger assemblies overnight and with some fine steel wool they cleaned up nicely. Lock worked fine but I had to learn how to use the duel trigger and I figured out a few problems it had. Overall I got a very nice used rifle that my kids will be able to enjoy and I can slowly work on to improve the looks. Thanks everyone for the info......Labrat

Thanks rchas for turning me on to Frontier metal cleaner. Sounds like a nice product. I will try them out because I have a few other rifles to be cleaned of mild rust......Labrat

Latest posts

Back