• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruthie and I went for a walk in the woods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haleh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Took my first flintlock deer Saturday morning. Not a big one but had already decided the first one I could get a good shot at I was taking it. Had a real nice 8 or 10 pointer in my sights last Saturday but at a little over a 100 yards I didn't feel like that would have been a wise shot.

Got this at about 7:45 am. He's a small 7 or 8 pointer I haven't measured the small brow tine to see if it's an inch long.
IMGP0222.jpg

H.Hale

Congratulations. What caliber? load used? Who made the gun? How far was this deer from you when you shot him? Just one shot?

"Inquiring minds want to know".

Thanks for the picture. That is a very nice way to end a deer hunt with any MLer. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Oops forgot all that stuff that I also like to hear about.

One shot dropped him in his tracks. I hit him a little high on the shoulder. .490 roundball with Walmart pillow ticking lubed with deer tallow being pushed by 70 grains 3f Goex. About a forty yard shot. I picked up the gun this fall from builder Jim Wheeler out of Salem Va.

H.Hale

Congrats :thumbsup: . Nice buck and great gun. I haven't had a chance to get out with my flint for deer yet. I've taken the rest of this week off. Hopefully I can connect like you did.

Hello from Germany!

Waidmanns Heil and congrats. That is a fine buck and a nice rifle. Good shooting! :thumbsup:

Remember always: every game is a trophy with ML!

Regards

Kirrmeister

Nicely done.
Does that mean your season is over or can you keep going?

I can still keep going. I'm living in Winston-Salem North Carolina but grew up in Grayson county Va. where I hunt now. Va. has a late muzzleloader season starting some time in late December. We had an either sex day Monday but I wasn't able to make it. I may take my flinter during the regular rifle season (Nov. 14th I think) and try for a fat mature doe.
The deer up in Grayson county are really thick this year.

H.Hale

I hear there's more deer down there than they know what to do with.I have a buddy who has been asking me to come down to Va to hunt with him. Maybe someday I will make the trip.Looks like it will be worth the trip.

Back