• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safari Arms??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceW

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
All I know about bp is what I've read in one of Fadala's books.
I've come across a Safari Arms 54cal Hawken rifle I can get for a pretty good price. I believe it is 1 in 48 twist.(I'd rather one in 66 flintlock, but this will be my first so price is a consideration) I'd be using it for target practice, and eventually a local m/l deer season. It looks to me like a clone of Lymans Deerstalker.

My question is really about the maker/firearm itself. Are they well made? What about parts; if I need a part is it now a boat anchor unless I can make it myself?

Thank you for your input.

Hmmmm...I've been shootin BP for 36 years and I have Never heard of Safari Arms...
must be a new company thats also makin the
other type of muzzleloaders...

That's kind of what I wondered....they're out of business, so if they were new they didn't last long.
Thanks.

I believe that Safari arms was made by Investarmes which is the same as the newer Lyman trade rife. It should be a good rifle if it were cared for properly.

When all is said and done, there are very few companies in the world who actually make muzzleloading firearms.

The main sources are from Ardesa in Spain, Interarms, Pedersoli, Pietta, Palmetto, EuroArms and Uberti in Italy and Thompson Center in the U.S.
Several other Italian companies which actually manufactured guns at one time either have gone out of business or were taken over by one of the remaining companies.

Over the years there have been dozens of companies in the U.S. who have imported their guns from Italy and Spain, often with their companies Logo's stamped on the barrels.
Among those left in the U.S. are Traditions, Lyman and CVA.
CVA no longer imports traditional styled guns which is ironic because they used to be the major importer of these guns and most people who are now avid fans of muzzleloading got their start with at least one CVA gun.

Most of the other importers are now gone but their guns remain.

Whiloe I have heard opf Safari Arms, I know nothing about them. As someone else has previously stated, most of these companies did not actually manufacture the guns that they sold, they were made by one of the Italian or Spanish arms manufacturers and sold under whatever name a company had. If their guns were made by one of the reputable manufacturers, I'd go ahead and get it. About the only thing that can go wrong with one is in the lock or trigger and these are easily repaired or replaced.

So, if it is made by a reputable manufacturer and is presently in good condition and the price is right, I'd get it. If you are relatively new to muzzleloading, you want to start with a percussion rifle anyway. The enjoyment of a flintlock requires a bit more experience in muzzleloading.

I believe it is made by Investarms and just imported by Safari arms. My friend has one and it is identical to the Cabela's hawkin by Investarms

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've emailed an offer to the seller. If we can cut a deal it should arrive about the time I get back from moose hunting.
Thanks again,
Bruce

Back