• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safe Explosive Act

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A lot of folks have been asking if the new Safe Explosive Act will require them to get a permit from BATF in order to buy black powder for use in muzzleloaders. I asked this question of Melony Shea, BATF Complience Agent from the Anchorage Office. After some confusion, she found that the short answer is NO. I promised her I would get the word out as publicly as I can.

The long answer is located on the BATF website at http://www.atf.treas.gov/explarson/safexpact/index.htm

Click on the link "General QA" posted 12/23/02 to download the pdf file. Question number 4 addresses this issue.

If you are concerned about being inspected, I recommend you make a hard copy of this document to store in your magazine. That way if you do run into a problem you can show the inspecting agent where to find the applicable law.

Because BATF complience agents deal primarily with FFL and FEL (Federal Explosives License) holders and only rarely encounter black powder for antique firearms, they aren't always well aware of the laws we work under, but they almost always have a copy of the laws and regulations with them. Being able to reference the specific regulation can be the difference between explaining your case to an agent in an informal contact, or to a magistrate during a probable cause hearing.

As a black powder dealer I either contact, or am contacted by BATF agents regularly and have always found them courteous, respectful and reasonable to deal with. On the other hand, they adhere to a strict interpretation of the laws and regulations.

Swanny

[ January 22, 2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Claude Mathis ]

Back