• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

salt water to age barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ill Mendham

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got myself a Middlesex village Bess as my first gun and I love it!

One of the things I like is what a lot of people here complain about . . . the rawness of production.

I want it to get an aged look and remembered that rust covers metal in five minutes down the shore so . . . I started wiping the barrel with a paper towel wet with salt water. I have wiped it half a dozen times and it is changin in a controled way.

Who thinks I'm crazy?

ill Mendham said:
I got myself a Middlesex village Bess as my first gun and I love it!

One of the things I like is what a lot of people here complain about . . . the rawness of production.

I want it to get an aged look and remembered that rust covers metal in five minutes down the shore so . . . I started wiping the barrel with a paper towel wet with salt water. I have wiped it half a dozen times and it is changin in a controled way.
Who thinks I'm crazy?

Not me...there are far too many people around who try to tell others that what they do is wrong...if you have a ML and want to age it, then go for it and enjoy...it's your hobby!!
:thumbsup:

ill mendham,
Go for it. I tried that back in 1978 and wasn't patient enough. I can't think of why it wouldn't work. I think I was too vigorous with the rubbing in between coating it with salt water. I was afraid of pitting. Part of the game here is experimentation. Then report your results to us. Your direct experience is is more valuable to the rest of us than someone heard from someone...etc. We like to hear reports and see pictures, hee hee! :thumbsup: :grin:
YHWH bless.
volatpluvia

ill Mendham said:
I want it to get an aged look and remembered that rust covers metal in five minutes down the shore so . . .

I believe that is because there is salt in the moisture of the air down by the shore, it's probaly not a good idea to take your gun down to Sandy Hook or Cape May, perhaps you could just take the barrel by itself... :hmm:

Cold blue sprayed with bleach is faster. Don't get it on any moving parts or inside the barrel. Be careful, it's fast.

Borrow Anger's book on blueing and browning. Gives formula's and processes for all kind's of chemicals. You have to note browning or blueing is a rusting process and the smaller the rust particals the better the finish. Go slow it my take a while to achieve your final finish. The one you have to please is yourself. Good luck!
TF

May want to check out the posts to my thread a few weeks ago. I asked about aging metal, and got some very good advise from several, especially Mike Brooks. You may want to take a look at some of his posts to see if his is the look you are after, and he detailed it in a response to my question. Good Luck!
Bryan :hmm:

We play at Fort Sullivan/Moultre and it takes some extra effort to derust our guns after the salt water exposure.

Isn't it odd that some are trying to rust these while others are trying to clean all of the rust off?

CS

degrease it and rub an apple core on it to sit over night. works excellent. a plum works too. (plum brown)......

volatpluvia said:
ill mendham,
Go for it. I tried that back in 1978 and wasn't patient enough. I can't think of why it wouldn't work. I think I was too vigorous with the rubbing in between coating it with salt water. I was afraid of pitting. Part of the game here is experimentation. Then report your results to us.
volatpluvia

I ran out of patience too and I tried the bleach (thanks for the idea to check the other thread) that works fast. I soaked a paper towel and let that stick to the barrel for about five minutes. It looks neat now a duller poliseh steel with brown spots. Think I might do it again and go all brown. I'll try and get some pics up.

thanks for the help and tolerance. and i got an e-mail sayin the forum was too mean . . . :winking:

A easy way to give a barrel or lock a 'patina' is using Birchwood Casey's Brass Black. If you apply it right you'll get a nice grey finish--and it is quick.

Latest posts

Back