• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

San Jose Shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayfeld

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, Guys-
Just a note to say "hello" from California. I saw a note about this wonderful group on another gun forum and joined a few weeks ago. In recent years, I've been an M1 Carbine and 1911 shooter, but decades ago, I built three of those pretty basic (being kind!) CVA kits- the Kentucky rifle, the .32 caliber squirrel gun and the the Kentucky pistol. The Kentucky's shot OK, but it seemed like too much trouble at the time. I never shot the squirrel gun...until you guys got be hooked again! Took her out to the range last week and unbelievably, at least at the 25 yard sighting-in range, mananged to get the shots all on paper- and within the rings! I've been studying the new high-end kits, and, when I finish my current workshop/teaching project (a Revolutionary War brigantine), I'm going to build a fairly challenging one (at least compared to the CVA's!). Thanks for all the information.

Best regards,

Welcome to the best muzzleloading site on the net, hope you enjoy yourself! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

A big howdy! Look forward to reading about (and seeing) the progress on the projects you have planned.

Lived in SJ way back when - an alum of James Lick HS, in fact. Anywhere near your neck of the ol' Garden City?

PaperTiger,
Welcome to the forum Doc, glad to have you
with us. Lots of great folks and information here at the
MLF. Contribute when you can and have fun.
again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Welcome to the forum.

I built those kits also. I built a kentucky for my wife twenty some years ago. Took six inches off the front for her - she's pretty small. I built her the .32 when they came out. Both guns shot great. The Squirrel gun would almost punch a single hole at 25 yards but was real finicky on the load. If you take the trouble to work up the best powder/patch/ball combo, they both should be good shooters.

What a friendly place! Thanks for the welcome messages, guys. I'll let you know how I progress.
San Jose Clay
(The Paper Tiger)
PS:I live in the newer part of Willow Glen, pretty far from James Lick HS. San Jose is no longer "The Garden City"; now almost a million and "The Capital of Silicon Valley"!

Paper Tiger, welcome to the forum. Check out Lymans' Great Plains Rifle in kit form, it's a good starter project to learn on.

-Shooey

Back