• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Satisfaction & Amazement

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Just finished the carving on an early Lancaster which has all Chambers' components but the stock is from a bandsawed blank. Kinda surprised myself and w/ sincere humility "rated" the LR and came up w/...."not bad for a person who struggles w/ the artwork, is not artistic in any sense but somehow makes a LR that looks good to most people". This post is written to encourage builders of all skill levels to persevere, study good references and to objectively "rate" your work. It's just amazing that so many are building MLers and all that it entails, including the confidence to even start a MLing project, whether it be a factory assembly kit, a parts set w/ a precarve stock or a Mler from a blank. My "first" attempt form a blank {never did a kit} ended up in the fireplace but the parts were recycled into another blank and this time yielded a LR that I rightfully named "Ugly" but which has slain 100s of squirrels. She's so ugly that I won't put her on the block and foist her on some unsuspecting buyer. At 79 I sometimes wonder what'll happen to her...I must have some concern for her welfare, seeing she was my first. Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce....Fred

Having seen your work.
All of which is superb.
I for one would love to see "ugly"
And if you ever need a good home for her.
I Would take her in, make sure she has a good home and a chance to get and work for a living.Every now and then.
I wonder how many amateur and full time flintlock builders there are now a days?
Must be thousands!

I'll take your advice to heart.

"At 79 I sometimes wonder what'll happen to her"
I'm glad I took to "Rendezvous", I know of a few deserving souls that would care for a few cherished items I have,,
,,but that's easy to say whilst we'er on the green side of the grass

Fred--Thanks for the words of encouragement...I have seen old ugly...Handled very nicely too!...very well balanced if I remember right? Really enjoy seeing your work..Keep it up!.....Dan

oldarmy said:
I wonder how many amateur... flintlock builders there are now a days?

There's about to be one more! I just sold back 30 days of leave, and Mama's been advised there's a Jaeger .50 kit at ToW with my name on it.

Never put a weapon together before, but I really want one, and there was a first time to everything you've ever done. So here we go!!!

Latest posts

Back