• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

scalding barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
In the LMF directions, they say if I want to blue a barrel that I must scald it at some point.
How long do I leave my barrel and parts in the hot water?
Thanks for any replies.

I did a Haines rifle with steel furntiure and rust blued it with LMF. All I did was boil the parts in distilled water for about 5 minutes after each application of LMF and before carding. You can practically watch it turn black during the first boiling. Everything turned out a beautiful blue/black and seem durable as heck.

I have not done it but, I have heard that if you want to do a barrel that pouring boiling distilled water on the barrel works too. Make yourself a tank out of a piece of PVC pipe or such.

DW

Recon said:
I did it by following along with these directions. Was easier then I thought.

Bluing with LMF

Same here. That page above has very helpful info! Tossed the small parts in a pot (Teflon coated sos they wouldn't stick HAHA) of boiling DISTILLED water for about 5 mins, made a scalding trough out of 2" PVC and a couple end caps for the barrel and barrel rib (scalded them separately). Hose-clamped the PVC onto a couple boards to straddle the sink. Placed barrel in the trough and poured boiling water in til it was covered. Let it sit a few mins, then carefully dumped some water out, and poured more boiling in til covered again - probably scalded it for a good 6-10 mins.

It sounds like a complex operation, but it's mostly just time consuming.

Results here ...
Link

I poured boiling water into PVC scalding tank and left mine until the water was cool.

Did that work well? May have to try that next time and save some time and water. :)

Yes, worked fine. IIRC, I scalded the barrel twice. I think it was in this order; apply LMF and wait 3 hours, apply LMF wait another 3 hr (or was it six?), scald then card, apply LMF wait 3 or so hrs, scald and then card again, then seal with oil.

The small parts I did like everyone else; boiled the water and then just added the small parts to the pot; I let it cool as well then carded (same schedule as barrel).

Oh, I didn't reuse water. I bought a couple gallons of distilled water and used it. It didn't take but half a gallon for the barrel each time.

Back