• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Scary Sharp" system for Chisels and other blades.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Cannon
Reaction score
To those new to sharpening of chisel tools and such, I will offer what I came across a few years back. It is called the "Scary Sharp" method, the first link is to original article by Steve Lamantia who was one of the first to publicize the system. The Scary Sharp system will allow one to get excellent expert results for just a very few dollars investment in materials readily obtainable at Home Depot or Wally World.

In case some should think it is just humorous, the second link is to Goggle for "Scary Sharp," which yielded 1,480,000 or so serious hits.

The system consists of using adhesive to adhere cheap abrasive sheets to a true flat surface such as plate glass & etc. I use the side to side variant, (freehand,no fixture required) I find it produces the quickest results for a truly scary sharp blade cutting edge. I do put the final honing to all my blades using a hard linen buffing wheel with the mandrel chucked up in the drill press. The Jewelers rouge I apply to top flat back of the wheel, not the outer face edge used for normal buffing. No more than a very light touch is required on bevel and back of blade to put that final honed razor edge on.

A safety note: I never attempt to hone leading edge of the blade into buffing wheel rotation direction, if it should grab, the results to one's health could be less than desirable. Oh yeah, don't use the (article referenced) Neanderthal thumb test for a sharpness check, and don't ask how I know. :rolleyes:

I got my heavy plate glass scrap for nada at a local glass and mirror shop, used a common glass cutter to shape several glass strips for specific grits, this allows one to rapidly progress from start to end result. I also use the Scary Sharp system for sharpening all my knives, not sure where I last put my oil and water stones?

http://www.shavings.net/SCARY.HTM#original

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=scary+sharp

Who wodathudit, somebody went commercial with it? ::

One can get a set up (minus the fixure) for less locally.

Still, shipping aside, not a bad price I would guess.

One can get a set up (minus the fixure) for less locally.
A couple of suggestions for improvement over the store-boughten or 'as-published' systems... For the flat surface I like an old bathroom mirror instead of plate glass for fine grit paper- it's a bit thicker, free off an old bathroom cabinet, doubles as a viewing tool in the shop plus gives a good look at the edge reflection and makes seeing that danged burr easier, and often has a hole in the corner for hanging up too. For coarse grit and rough work, I got a couple of defect marble tiles for $1 each- I prefer the heavy weight and almost 1/2" thickness for hogging down a new blade to some sort of edge.

Been using this for a long while, and it works great on all sorts of edges tools.

vic

"Been using this for a long while, and it works great on all sorts of edges tools."

As indicated in original posting, I too have been using the system for several years. One can get amazingly quick results for just a few bucks. :redthumb:

The heavy Marble tile sounds great, I have heard of using it, I keep checking at the two local Home Depot stores for some on sale, but no luck to date.

I now get a kick out of the guy's reactions with a hundred dollars or so in expensive stones and systems when they learn that using Wally World off the shelf or Harbor Freight sheet abrasives gives better results than their expensive layouts. Some almost consider it a sacrilege to their assorted woodworker gods that one would dare achieve better results than they on the cheap. :blah:

And to those that have a hard time sharpening their hunting, patch, or scalping knives, the system works fantastic for such. Just make sure you keep them away from those Neanderthal types who insist on the thumb test for sharpness. :cry:

The heavy Marble tile sounds great, I have heard of using it, I keep checking at the two local Home Depot stores for some on sale, but no luck to date.

You don't need to wait for the sales (when it's still expensive)... I got a couple of tiles just by asking at the tile department. They always have a few of the 12" squares with edge dings or chipped corners that would normally be tossed in the dumper, or a few with stains or other appearance defects. They may look like hell, but still usable for sharpening or pounding leather :thumbsup:. One other thing I found helpful, especially if using the tile for leatherworking... mount it on a backerboard and make a small frame. The backer dampens some of the pounding noise, and helps keep the tile from shattering or splitting.

vic

Another inexpensive source for the finer-grit abrasive sheets is an auto supply store, or stores that carry auto painting supplies. My choice for finish-honing chisels and plane irons is 1600 grit wet/dry paper, used dry, in a side-to-side arcing motion. No fixtures needed.
Packer

I work for the oldest whetstone company in the US.
Norton Pike founded in 1823.
We sell the best and widest set of sharpening stones on the planet and I don't say that just because I work for them.
I use a combination bench stone 11-1/2 long 2-1/2 wide and 1 thick that has a 600 grit hard INDIA on one side and a piece of "BLACK HARD ARKANSAS" on the other and I can any blade so sharp you can shave your face in a couple of minutes.
I also like our new "waterstones" these are designed to be used with water/not oil and are faily soft so you get a good edge with a minial of time. These are already used in the wood working industry.
they are american made and we garenty them 100%.

AMEN for the black hard Arkansas!!! I prefer diamond stones down to ex-fine but for final edge I use black Arkansas & some penetrating oil, and a razor strap :m2c:

Hey TANSTAAFL, great handle. That is what I named my motorsickul. Sure do miss R.H.....
Regards.

Hey TANSTAAFL, great handle. That is what I named my motorsickul. Sure do miss R.H.....
Regards.

If anyone ever finds that free lunch, let me know. ::

I miss my motorcycles too, especially the dirt bikes. Now that I am getting old and grey, the wife has restricted me to 4x4 atv, she says it don't fall over when I forget to put my feet down when I stop. :shake:

Latest posts

Back