• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Schuetzen Powder... Good or Bad?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This German powder made by Wano and rebranded in this country as Shuetzen.
I have shot this powder since 2010 and had no problems. It has been no dirtier than other black powder I have used.
It was what was available when I needed powder so it works for me.
LBL

I find it to be almost identical to Goex.
I can sight my rifle in for a 75 grain charge of Goex 2f and then switch to using 75 grains of Schuetzen and hit the same POI.
I'd also actually give a very slight nod to Schuetzen for fouling over Goex.

what i experienced was the same as the one above. i couldn't tell a bit of difference between my goex fffg and schuetzen fffg.
the schuetzen came in a plastic container. guess it will keep the powder in top condition.

Schutzen is, for all practical purposes, identical to Goex. It’s good powder. For me, I really like how Schutzen supports black powder shooting sports. They have supported our efforts in youth instruction with both powder and caps while Goex brushed us off.

I also won a pound at a shoot. Shot just as well as Goex but to me it seemed like it left a "drier" fouling which required swabbing more often than I would normally have to. If you are a swab between every shot guy, then that is not an issue.

I find it to be almost identical to Goex.
I can sight my rifle in for a 75 grain charge of Goex 2f and then switch to using 75 grains of Schuetzen and hit the same POI.
I'd also actually give a very slight nod to Schuetzen for fouling over Goex.

My experience as well, also I believer a bit less smoke and quicker clean up

Buzz

I picked up a lb of 3f Schuetzen cheap, had not used it until I bought a flintlock, used Select RS in my percussion for years. I've continued using 3f Schuetzen in my 54 Lancaster, 70g is my load.

I won a couple pounds of Schuetzen ffg at a match last year, and I dug it out of the garage and wanna use it.

Who has used it, what were your overall impressions? It was free so cost shouldn't be a factor.

Thanks.
I've used it. I still have a pound or two of it. It's fine. It goes bang.

I won a couple pounds of Schuetzen ffg at a match last year, and I dug it out of the garage and wanna use it.

Who has used it, what were your overall impressions? It was free so cost shouldn't be a factor.

Thanks.
Hi, I think you might just be impressed with the Schuetzen powder it has the same energy as the GOEX powder. I have been using Schuetzen for a year now 2FF in my flintlock Traditions Kentucky rifle 50 Cal. with no problems. As to fowling, from my experience, it doesn't fowl any more than GOEX did. I use a spit wet patched ball and swab twice dry between each shot with no problems.
Enjoy***

Back